Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rjohn7

Alpaca wool

Available this time is alpaca fiber, pretty much as sheared so there is the occasional tiny bit of plant matter, easy to pick out if you have only a little bit of fur, but a major pia to do when you're looking at a full fleece.

The color is a darker brown, so unless its dyed black there's not much for options with dye on this. The texture it much like rabbit, super soft and very fine fibers. The fur its self is hollow, Alpaca are camelids so if you've ever worked with camel wool you're in the same ball park. Length runs 2-4 inches. if you have a brush this might be very interesting for longer fibers.

If you would like some drop me a message with your address.

RJ

The color is a darker brown, so unless its dyed black there's not much for options with dye on this.

cant it be bleached and dyed in a rainbow of colors

The color is a darker brown, so unless its dyed black there's not much for options with dye on this.

cant it be bleached and dyed in a rainbow of colors

it would be difficult this is a very dark brown and bleaching enough to break through the red-gold color would cause significant damage, Think of the brassy color that dark brown human hair turns when trying to decolorize to a light blonde.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e77our0fez4vof/alpaca%20fiber%20bleached.jpg?dl=0

here is a photo from a study by DR. REX Brady of Deakin University.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe7eatx6p6ml6of/alpaca%20color.jpg?dl=0

and this is a photo showing the natural color of this shade of Alpaca wool. as stated it is a very dark brown. The chances of ever achieving a pale enough shade to dye it likely would involve a high level of damage.

enjoy. hope it's enough there for anything you want to try. I keep thinking of stuff to try and never do try it. bait fish etc.

Received a nice package yesterday and used it and BT for tailing.

Very versatile material, I definitely will be using this in different ways.

Thanks RJ

IdG0Kdh.jpg

I am very fond of Alpaca fiber. it takes dye really well and can be used so many ways.

i picked up a bag of alpaca hair yesterday from a local farm that had a garage sale i already have a bunch of llama hair i find the alpaca much finer in diameter and shorter than llama. but alpaca has about 6 different colors . $5 for a gallon zip lock bag

i tied up a simple streamer with dark brown over cream was only about 2inches .once it got wet it would sink slow, i also made it just a little thicker than i would have liked i like it

"Picked a pack of alpaca hair" ... sounds like a tongue twister.

"How packed is a pack of picked alpaca hair if you picked and packed a pack of alpaca hair?"

Rich gave me some Llama hair a year ago. I've used some of it, mostly as a dubbing type wrap. Interesting hair to use.