Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
partsman

cdc clamp

I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience with cdc clamps? I have been using cdc lately for some euro nymph/soft hackle type flies, I don't like wrapping the cdc on with quill and have watched some videos using a clamp to hold the fibers and put them in a dubbing loop to wrap. Looks pretty cool, but there just a little expensive. If anyone has used these and has some thoughts on them or maybe another option I would like hear it.

Thanks, Mike.

I was just wondering if anyone here has some experience with cdc clamps? I have been using cdc lately for some euro nymph/soft hackle type flies, I don't like wrapping the cdc on with quill and have watched some videos using a clamp to hold the fibers and put them in a dubbing loop to wrap. Looks pretty cool, but there just a little expensive. If anyone has used these and has some thoughts on them or maybe another option I would like hear it.

Thanks, Mike.

The clear plastic version is on E-bay for a little over five bucks and have several sizes to choose from or a four piece set for $10.99. Search cdc feather clip. Might be a little wait though. They come from China and shipments are being held up because of the coronavirus. I know first hand. I have some dirt bike parts in limbo. Or just use a bulldog clamp (second photo) from Walmart with some black tape on the jaws. The black tape helps to grip the fibers a little better. I used the bulldog clip for a long time until I made a clip of my own.

post-19822-0-29731100-1581689624_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-68986400-1581690341_thumb.jpg

It's just the latest fly fishing/tying tool that gets people up in arms over the cost. I know people who use it and love it (I have Petitjean clamps, so I don't really have a need for it). Does it seem expensive for what it is? Sure. But look around what we do. You can spend $50 for fly tying scissors or $5 at a craft store. Want to spend $300+ for a tying vise? You can, or you can spend a fraction of that. $80 nippers or a $2 pair of fingernail clippers at WalMart? Do you need $300 Abel pliers? People buy them every day. Are you a $900 fly rod person or a $150 fly rod person? Yeti bucket or Lowe's bucket? My personal stance, if a certain product is worth it to you, then buy it. If not, don't.

From what I know of the CDC clamp, it is very good for what it is designed to do.

Man, that looks like a speculum for looking up hoohahs! Careful with where you put that thing.

AH HA HA HA! Would be a tiny hoohah. This thing is not very big at all. Maybe 2 1/2" long tops. LOL

I bought the clear plastic clips from China but haven't tried them yet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Clear-Fly-Tying-Feather-Clips-Hackle-Holding-Tools-Fly-Fishing-Accessori-EF/283777994330?hash=item42127c8e5a:m:my3EY1uqF6fgO5qtyZfupaA

If I can get a chance today I'll post pics.

They come 5 of each size for the price listed, so I've got extras if anyone wants a full set of five of each size let me know, the first three to ask will get them.

They look like they'll work well, but wow that clip silkhdh made blows this bargain shopping stuff to smithereens...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Clear-Fly-Tying-Feather-Clips-Hackle-Holding-Tools-Fly-Fishing-Accessori-EF/283777994330?hash=item42127c8e5a:m:my3EY1uqF6fgO5qtyZfupaA

They come 5 of each size for the price listed, so I've got extras if anyone wants a full set of five of each size let me know, the first three to ask will get them.

Will gladly take a set and will offer you an assortment of wire shanks for articulated patterns

Me, me, I vote me. I would love a set. Thanks. What you need?

Thanks guys for the replies, I have to just sit down and figure out what I want. SILK I love your creativity! And Chugbug thanks for the great offer to forum members also! I have to say I really like dealing with the folks who sell the swiss cdc clamp, I love there tying videos, they are a really creative and fun loving bunch of fly tiers for sure. My wife will probably really pissed, because I have ordered stuff every month this winter from these guys, but it looks like another order is going in.

Thanks for the replies, Mike.

I should say right off that I love working with all this shit. Stalcup got me into it and it hasn't stopped. I have a lifetime supply of CDC that he dyed himself.

I have used all of the current CDC Clamps except for the one referenced by Chug.
I got both style of Petitjean clips when they were on clearance from Gander MTN($15). Later the minis, also on sale.
The bottom ones were gifted to me by Stalcup and another friend (taught him how to tie my flies).
I purchased the Swiss CDC Clamp within the last 2 months.
The Swiss CDC Clamp is exceptional at picking up hair from a hide.
The weakness in the Petitjean clamp is that it doesn't clamp down as hard as the Swiss Clamp
but I just add a O-ring to compensate.
The platen at the top is what I use with the medium and Magnum Petitjean clips to create composite loops.
If I had to pick one it would be the Petitjean Clips.

The bulldog clips will work but a lot of the time the blades don't line up properly and it's nice to be able to see the end of the material in the clamp.

86442372_3073134216031199_89564670838607

Kimo

I don't have it with me, it's at home and I am in an airport at the moment.

I made a fairly efficient clip from a CD holder. Not the hard plastic ones, but the softer plastic. I'll see if I can remember to take pictures when I get home.