Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Ouch

post-64672-0-55074000-1570896942_thumb.jpg

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! Tjm this is why I want to move to Florida. On the up side, There's snowmobiling, ice fishing, and trapping.

I moved south, and one reason was to get away from the snows. Used to like getting out there, hunting & trapping in the snow, but as I got older, not as much. The weather takes a toll on you as your body ages & takes it's toll.

Enjoy it while you can! I've been getting back into some hunting, there's a lot of gray squirrels around here, but as yet have not been trapping. I do miss it.

What are you trapping?

Was 71 yesterday here in Michigan, now 50 today. I actually like it. To me year round of one type of weather would be boring. No matter if it were year round warm or year round cold. I enjoy the four seasons and all the things they bring with them like the variety of fish and different fishing seasons. seeing all the fall color, even the solitude of being alone on a river after a fresh snowfall I find it all enjoyable.

I enjoy the four seasons and all the things they bring with them like

Dead leaves that need raking.

Plants that need to be brought indoors.

Fish that need to be brought indoors.

Snow that needs shoveling.

Pipes that need protecting.

Road salts that rust out your vehicles.

I could go on and on and on, listing all the reasons I left "the great white North."

The King of the North can have his kingdom. I'll just visit it once in a while !!!

Florida trapping is pretty limited and fur values minimal, I don't think I ever heard of anyone going there to hunt. Although they do have feral hogs to kill.

No skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing or trout fishing, mostly flat with little scenery according to my son who has been there ~20 years, I should go down there sometime just to see if it's as bad as he claims.

My version of that picture would be flooding over the last two weeks. This year has been a three season year unless you count that two weeks in July when it was summer like, spring ran into late June and fall started in late July, imo.

Where ever you you will still be you and boredom is internal. Or so I've been told.

I am trapping for Maten and hares. We don't have grey squirells. We have flying squirells, Though. (my freind caught one.)

Won't find marten in FL. Nor lynx, nor wolverine. They have opossum I believe.

Holy crap, tjm. I get it, you don't like Florida.

I might, if I was there or had to be there; but there are things to like about other places too. I am aware of the trapping situation kinda.

Don't they have those giant rodents in FL now, can't remember how its spelled but its nutria or something like that? I remember seeing a show/documentary a few years back on invasive species and they were riding around at night shooting those things in the ditches. Seemed like it was FL if I remember right?

They've had nutria there since the mid '50s but for whatever reason they aren't overrunning the state and devastating areas like they do in LA. They aren't in demand for fur and the only money in trapping them would be in damage control contracts. Any fur taken that far south is going to only be used in crafts because the underfur won't get dense without cold. In south Mo. the fur is roughly 1/3-1/2 the value of fur from Iowa or Mn,or Wi. A bobcat from here might bring $100 and one from NV bring $800 in the same sale, with one from SD bringing $300. And in the next auction they might all be at 10% of those numbers but the spread will stay about the same. MT has had the highest priced coyotes for a long time. Currently all fur is in the toilet, most of the market is in China and Russia and they seem to have money problems or tariff problems. 1986 was the last good fur year and not long after that most of the NY buyers were gone, don't recall at the moment what crisis caused the drop, but it bankrupted many. When dealing in commodities it's the global picture that counts.

Since 1992, when I got here, I've never seen a Nutria.

My very first time fishing near Houston, Texas (2002), I was scaring them off of banks and log lay downs every few feet. I didn't know what they were until that trip. Like beavers with no flat tail.

Even if we have them here, the pythons are taking care of that problem. Of course, they're taking care of the raccoon, opossum, otter, small deer, hog and bunny problems, too. We're just lucky we get frosts from Central Florida North ... since that seems to be keeping the pythons from moving this way.

Predators to keep them check would explain why they haven't had the population explosion there that they have in other places. Pythons never entered my mind, but they very well could be what LA and TX need. I believe some areas of WA and OR as well. Silver linings for clouds. Invasive eats invasive.