Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrisfish

easy whip finish

I have always threaded my bobkin by sucking the thread thru like a straw. it is very fast and easy and no tool required.

So i use my threader to whip finish. Just lay the threader across your thread head and wrap around it 5 times. then set your bobkin down, cut the thread at a managable length and pass it thru the threader. then pull the threader back thru the whip fish with the terminal end and pull tight. It's easier done than said :blink:

Like making a needle knot, great idea. I am in the process of modifying my tying desk. I do not even know where my whip finnish tool is. I have seen it done, the hand whip finnish. I have tried it before and said naw. Now I have had to learn it. Once you have tied a few hand whip finnish knots its no problem. Fource yourself to learn this technique, once learned you will say wow, I should of been doing that a long time ago.

The Fish Ohio videos that are linked from various places around this site generally feature a hand whip finish. I'd like to learn it someday, but for now I just use my whip finisher tool and it works well enough that I generally do a double whip finish.

Using the threader also works great for nail knots if that is how you attach your line to backing or leaders.

For conventional fishing, I use the hand whip finish to make snelled hooks. Had trouble with them until I realized that the process is slightly different, but the results are just the same.

right on deeky. perfect for nail knots. I often woundered how the "nail" ever even got the job

I have about half a dozen whip finishers from different makers and designs. And bottom line, the good ol fingers work the best. You never have to rock a tool to get more thread, and you dont have to worry about which one will be easier to use. Just like your shoes, loop, swoop(a few times), and pull. easy to do as said. and saves you plenty of money, and room for other tools :D

I always use my hands, never have I used a whip finisher. When I started out, the whip finisher was just another 6 dollar tool that i couldnt afford, so I learned the hand whip finish. Now, when I wrap a hackle with my rotary vise, I add a 3 turn whip instead of a half-hitch, its faster for me, and makes really durable flys.

Sorry to dig up an old post. For you guys who use a hand whip finish, can you do them successfully for small flies? I can make a hand whip finish on my saltwater flies (size 6 and larger) pretty easily. But when I'm trying to tie stuff for tailwater fishing, I just can't seem to make it work for the size 18 flies. Any tips? :wallbash: Or should I just give up and keep using a whip finish tool?

Sign in to follow this