Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Video - tying a black spider

Short and sweet ... but something tells me you make it look easier than it really is. This is another design I don't usually try, since I'm not into catching 2 or 3 inch panfish.

But it sure is a pretty fly.

Beautiful fly, Lucian, and I think you are enticing me to buy UV resin.

Mike, tie it on a size bigger hook, #6 maybe? With duck breast feathers it could be a lot bigger or use rubber legs for hackle, as in Calcasieu Pig Boat?

TJM,

UV resin, especially colored one is making wave these days. Frankly I think any colored thread coated with a little bit of transparent resin or head cement will provide the same results

Lucian, I believe you're right and it's really not much different than coating in enamel or head cement as far effect. But it looks to be easier and possibly more durable. If only it didn't cost so much.

Short and sweet ... but something tells me you make it look easier than it really is. This is another design I don't usually try, since I'm not into catching 2 or 3 inch panfish.

North Country Spiders were not designed to catch 2-3 inch panfish, there were created to catch trout and grayling, sizes measured in pounds and tens of inches.

North Country Spiders were not designed to catch 2-3 inch panfish, there were created to catch trout and grayling, sizes measured in pounds and tens of inches.

Um ... duh? I know what they're designed for. I also know there are no trout or grayling in Florida. Hence, when I tie on a tiny little fly, I get tiny little fish.

Not a trout or grayling.

CSC_0350-e1501767438303.jpg

Spiders are among the best patterns of all to try for different species. I love small dark spiders for roach, rudd and dace. That said, brighter colours are also great fly patterns for bluegills, crappies and other US “panfish”!

Turrall_spiders-2.jpg

that is ready dyed in different colors :)

Is that the stuff flybox is selling in UK? Can see a great use for the gap in treble hooks when using free swinging cones.