Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rjohn7

3 am phone call- duck

well 3 am not so bright but very early, got a call from a friend. something got one of his ducks, an immature (year old) Cayuga drake. (black with Iridescent beetle green) and did I want it? sure did. went and picked it up since he wanted it gone before his daughters woke up. (understandable these ducks are their pets)

got it home and washed and mostly dried. the neck next to the head is sort of mangled, and one of the wings seems pretty bad off. will have to wash and dry the wing feathers there and dry them one by one before I can see whats usable and whats really wrecked. The flanks sides, back lower neck, breast, and one wing were just dirty.

here is the big question- what feathers would you use for what? I'm really liking the smaller neck feathers- they are like the crest on a golden pheasant- not as long but long enough for something- very narrow and have a great beetle green shimmer.

love to hear what others would do, there are a tone of feathers here...

R.

LOL. I don't fish. I find fishing a great way to ruin my day and the day of any fish I meet. I think of fly fishing with some nostalgia because I used to go with my grandfather- but what I liked about it the was the time spent with my grandfather. I'd like to enjoy fishing, but I don't and that's ok.

I like tying dry flies, and soft hackle flies. I know what to do with the cdc- and there is remarkably little of that. Otherwise I like experimenting- trying new things and seeing what can be done with materials. Translate that to I'm not married to tying any sort of flies.

On this one I'm really curious as to what others would do with Cayuga feathers, and which feathers. There's certainly a lot of interesting feathers on this fellow. I'm still plucking. I am trying not to pluck any of the down which is incredibly thick and heavy. also takes for ever to dry out. may pluck that if there's a reason to. its thick but sort of short.

R.

Welcome to the site.

Flats asked: "What do you fish/tie for?"

You ... don't fish ... so ...

More appropriately ... Look at recipes and compare feathers used with what you have and try them.

You like experimenting ... here's your chance!

of course I'm going to experiment. going to try some soft hackle flies etc. never seen any pattern that uses a cayuga specifically, and what I've seen calling for duck I will of course try... If I have any matched wing feathers I'll try wings with them. There are some interesting feathers on this bird. The leading edge of the wing has some very small fairly wide compared to length feathers that are almost perfectly spade shaped, nicely pointed. can't remember ever seeing something like them in the fly shops. some interesting pointed ones on the legs also. very soft will try them on a streamer I think. I have ideas and thoughts. Maybe I'm the only one that likes to hear what others are thinking and would try.

K.

After the feathers have dried from the washing; Skin the whole bird, pin the skin to something flat like a piece of cardboard box, flesh side up and cover with 20 Mule team Borax let set a few days and clean off the borax, the skin will keep this way for a long time and you can use most all the feathers in some kind of flies over time.

Duck feathers I use most are breast and flank feathers, but any duck feather could be used for something.

I've done the borax thing in the past. Just plucked this fella because The only dry place I have to keep it right now is in the house and I really don't want a duck skin tacked to a board leaning against the back of my couch. just doesn't appeal. once the flooding in my shed/barn thing is done I can put them there again. when I plucked him I bagged feather types separately. so that will work for me. I'm going to a poultry auction at the end of the month and another in June. have some other things on my list I want- a white duck white goose, narragansett turkey, bourbon turkey and palm turkey to list a few. Those will be skinned. its faster and easier for me in the long run.

R.

skinned. its faster and easier for me in the long run

yep, why I mentioned it, I have ziplocks full of feathers that at the time seemed like the way to go, so I understand that too..

not sure what flies of the month is, but I'll work on figuring out how to post. today I'm at the dye pot. have some different materials to dye for dubbing as well as chenille and wool. That will keep me out of trouble most of the day, but I will make some time to figure out posting photos.

not sure what flies of the month is,

Chug put a link, but to answer your question ... in "The Fly Tying Bench" forum, there's a monthly thread for members to post fly pictures. We get enough new fly pictures that a single thread would be gargantuan ... so, a new thread each month.

Chug's link puts you into "April flies from the vice".

I have never known anyone to tie flies and not fish...that is very interesting. At the same time, I have to imagine you are very good at tying flies to do so without desire to fish.