Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Crane fly Larvae / Micro Minnows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

I like to nymph with these flies as cranefly larvae, then let them swing into shore where it can double as a micro minnow.

IMG_20150321_141215_zpsznucuzvj.jpg

Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

#2 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

I can see how they score across the depths and dead drift or pulled.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#3 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

I like those Frank.  They have a unique attractiveness and appear versatile as you have stated.  What size do you commonly tie these?

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#4 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

4x long streamer hook in 8, 10, 12.

Tail is barred chickabou

Ribbing is 2lb monofilament 

abdomen and thorax are aunt lydias sparkle yarn

shellback is mottled nymph skin

Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

#5 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

Cool. Thank you.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#6 Tim Shovel

Tim Shovel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:16 AM

Nice flies

#7 Tightlines83

Tightlines83

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

I like those. I really like the that versatility in fly patterns. It beats re-tying to try a spot real quick before leaving a pool

#8 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

For someone starting out, this is a very easy pattern.  The crane flies are the largest members of the midge family, and they are effective in most tail waters and other streams with fluctuations in the water level.  After rains they get washed out of the stream banks, and are a favorite food source then.  

Just on a size 4 to 10 4 xlong hook, tie in a tail from the fluffy base of any gray feather.  Tie in some cream-tan or light gray (almost white,) yarn and some mono, or wire for the rib.  Wrap the yarn up the shank, and rib with the mono line or wire.  Simply darken the front 10% with a brown or black marker.  You can add a few marks on the back but I don't usually do that.  

The general color of these larvae is in the gray to tan with some places having light olive-gray populations.  

Attached Thumbnails

• a few larvae.JPG
  • cranefly larvae 3.JPG
  • cranefly larva.JPG

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly