Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Suggestion: Make the "Introduce Yourself" section more visible

It might do us some good to consider moving this section higher up in the list of forums on the homepage. My reason for thinking this is that, since the section for new members to introduce themselves is way down at the bottom, it doesn't get read as frequently as the other sections that are listed higher up. As a result, new members don't always get a lot of responses to their introductory posts, which might put some of them off of participating in the forum. It might be a better reflection of what a friendly community we really are if new members got a warmer welcome from more than just one or two people.

Just a thought.

Whether or not it is visible Bryon ....... people do not welcome folks on a regular basis.........

I try to welcome folks each and every time I log on.......however, others dont

This could be an outstanding forum if folks took the time to say a few words...

Mike

Mike,

You're quite right that most of us don't take the time to welcome newcomers to the list on a regular basis, and we really should. I have noticed that you do welcome the new folks quite often, and that is an excellent habit for all of us to get into.

In my case, it's usually a time issue. I'm often at work (like right now) when I check the forums, and by the time I've finished adding my $0.02 to "Fly Tying", "Fly Fishing" and "Beginners Corner", I've used up my break plus all the time I can steal, and I may not get back to the forums that day.

However, that doesn't excuse ignoring the importance of welcoming newcomers to our community here. So, starting today, I'm officially going to change how I read the forums--whenever I log on, I will make a point of hitting the Introductions section first. Besides just being the friendly thing to do, reaching out to newcomers is an excellent way to make new friends, as I have found out. :)

Bryon

Funny you posting this Bryon. I was looking at a newbie post earlier that Mike replied to and thought not many people click here anymore. But then I didn't bother eitherrolleyes.gifph34r.pngsad.png

If this was a flesh and blood club we would be all over the new members to say hello but somehow the internet makes it feel a little formulaic when you type welcome each time. I'll certainly try not to just gloss over it.

If this was a flesh and blood club we would be all over the new members to say hello but somehow the internet makes it feel a little formulaic when you type welcome each time. I'll certainly try not to just gloss over it.

That's a good point Piker. I have the same thought sometimes, especially when there are two or three new members per day introducing themselves, but I'm going to remind myself that while it might feel repititious for us, it's really nice as a newcomer to get a warm welcome; it makes all the difference in how people perceive our virtual community, and how active they'll choose to be in posting to the forums themselves. My dad always used the old saw, "You only get one chance to make a first impression", which grew to be an old saw because it's true. :)

That's a good point Piker. I have the same thought sometimes, especially when there are two or three new members per day introducing themselves, but I'm going to remind myself that while it might feel repititious for us, it's really nice as a newcomer to get a warm welcome; it makes all the difference in how people perceive our virtual community, and how active they'll choose to be in posting to the forums themselves. My dad always used the old saw, "You only get one chance to make a first impression", which grew to be an old saw because it's true. smile.png

AMEN.......this community will die unless there are folks that are wiling at least to say "Hi"...

My two cents....

Maybe if the "Introduce Yourself" was more visible....we'd do more welcoming!

JUST a suggestion from someone who was a moderator on a few sites......

BUMP THE INTRO SECTION TO THE TOP OR LOSE FOLKS THAT WANT TO BE HERE.........

Just my two cents

BUMP THE INTRO SECTION TO THE TOP OR LOSE FOLKS THAT WANT TO BE HERE.........

why are you YELLING and does that mean you would leave if it doesnt get moved to your liking

Not at all Fly Tire........

However,

I would challenge the site folks to take a look at how many introduction posts go unanswered for days...even weeks!

Would YOU feel like you were part of a community if you never got an answer to an introductory post?

Take a look at the "INTRO" section......Look at the dates, look at the responses, look at who posts.........

I will PM you with my number if you would like to discuss but I would again challenge this community to be a bit more welcoming!

Mike :)

PS.....I am not going anywhere....I love this site and I consider it a HOME for me.......and as your quote said "...moved to your liking.." I don't have a say in this matter but perhaps someone should.

Look at the dates of posts and just how many members made posts (Look at the time it took folks to even respond....)

I am YELLING because it takes that at times to even see something......

The intro forum is FINE where it is at. We have been online for 11 years and are not in the least worried that the intro forum being middle of the site rather than the first forum is going to make people feel unwelcome in the least bit. Anyone with eyes can see the title on each forum, putting it at the top is not going to change how many people reply.

Why do people not reply much to the intro forum? I will tell you why, because after you are on a site for any amount of time, that is the first forum you stop looking into/replying too because there is only so many times you can say "welcome make yourself at home" before it starts getting very repetitive.

As I said myself and Will have ran this site for almost 11 years now, as well as a number of other sites, we went from less than 100 members to almost 40,000 registered users now so I think we know a little about running a website. People come here for the good info, not for the intro forum, moving it up to the top will not make a single bit of difference in how many people reply to it. It's been tried in the past and did not make a difference, we have had the site arranged many ways over the years and now the sites forums are arranged by the activity level they receive, not the other way around.

As the OP, I'd like to say that my suggestion wasn't meant as a criticism of the site, not by a long shot. It was just a suggestion.

As the OP, I'd like to say that my suggestion wasn't meant as a criticism of the site, not by a long shot. It was just a suggestion.

Agreed with Bryon......if I came across as being harsh I simply did not intend to do so....

Mike