Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

wire size

Hi what size wire would I want for size10to 16 hooks. nymph patterns like gold robbed hares ear or pheasant tail type. I have some from telephone wire and a coil from a florescent light but they are kinda big

There are no fixed rules, it is a case of using whatever size looks right to your eye. I use lots of different coloured wires and couldn't stock different size wires in enough sizes to have different ones for each hook size. For a size 10 I would use something in the region of 0.25 to 0.3 mm. Getting smaller as the hook size does, but not by much. Maybe 0.18mm at size 16. As I said though this is just the way I would do it for making ribs or wound bodies on flies. There are other uses that would call for larger sizes of wire on smaller flies. Generally you should be able to use one size of wire for 3 sizes of hook without the wire looking too big or small. YMMV

Cheers,

C.

no rules on the size. use whatever suits your eye

i would offer ultra wire in the brassie size would be about average to use

ultra wire diameter (as measured)

CHART.jpg

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=50378

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=48998&hl=wire

telephone wire = too big

another source is an old electrical cable from a lamp, toaster etc

copperwire_zpsf316b868.jpg

Next time you destroy an old computer ... there are several small motors that have very small windings. The multi-bit wire is extremely small gauge wire. It's a little bit of a pain, but it's the smallest diameter wire I've seen.

thanks for the advice, I have to order my wire and don't want to buy more of what I have that is to big. I am tying smaller so I need less bulky wire

Great Question!

I have saved all of my friggin electronics for decades! I have finally found a use for some of the old receivers and older computers!

Thanks Mike :)

I am not asking for exact rules I am a dumb beginner and not an electrician so I don't know wire sizes. I have got some 18-2 strand but they are getting to big, they are ok on a size 10 nymph or larger streamers but it is to bulky for 12 and 14 and when I do 16 I may need something smaller, BUT I need to know what is smaller

You could order spools of small and brassie size ultra wire in gold, silver, copper and red, and be covered for most trout-sized nymphs. Ultimately, you as a tier have to decide what you are trying to achieve with the wire. Be creative, have fun and don't over-think it. (Wow., my 1,000th post. Crazy.)

I'll be the FIRST to congratulate you on your 1K post JohnP!!!!!

K,

Look around the house if you are strapped for funds.....I'm tearing out parts from old electronics and have been VERY satisfied with what I have found!

You can also call some of the fly shops around and ask them! At least here in Colorado they are MORE than willing to help!

Cheers,

Mike

PS.....I wish I could tell you dimensions and stuff but I have found there are NO set rules on sizes......experimentation is the best way unless you go to a shop (as mentioned) and SHOW them what you are looking for.

BY the way......I may be off base but head out to Michaels/Hobby Lobby/JoAnn Fabrics stores........You will find a WEALTH of information there.......

thanks, I just passed up some pancake fans at a sale, never gave the wire a thought, can't check with a fly shop, I have none

Found this on another forum:

Every Christmas season, I usually have one string of lights that I have to replace. Last year I saved the bad string and have been canabalizing it as needed. I have several years worth of copper wire in that one string.

s.