Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Here piggy piggy

Not so big, only difference in domestic hogs and feral hogs is feed and care, hogs butchered for lard, bacon and hams 50 75 years ago commonly ran 4-600#. In the late 20th century the efficiency of feed conversion studies suggested that more money could be made by butchering smaller hogs and 230# size markets were developed. Today we eat baby hogs as a given. I saw a state champion hog at the fair in Sedalia, Mo. that weighed a bit over 1500# and back in the 1930s a guy in Tn. raised one that weighed 2,552 pounds. The last sale barn hog I bought to butcher weighed 460#. Chops bigger than a plate.

That's a big feral hog. Most feral hogs are small. I met a guy in Florida who traps them and puts them in a pen to fatten them up before butchering them.

SC has a problem with them as well. I have yet to see a feral hog here, but they are considered a nuisance. The state has been encouraging more folks to hunt them. From what I've read, they have to be handled with care, as they carry a lot of different diseases and bacteria that can cause some serious health issues to people & pets if in contact with the meats.

When I was young, my dad and a couple of friends bought hogs a few times at auctions, and some of them were in the 500 to 600 lb weight range. These were raised on small farms, so a bit bigger than the usual market hogs.