Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dogfacedoc

Deer Season

OK Archery deer season started yesterday! My fiance and I will be leaving after work to go hunt Thursday and Friday. Looking to get my first deer with a bow. Missed two last year.

Anybody else hunting this year?

Don't big game hunt much any more, but leave for a 5 day pheasant hunt tomorrow

Doug

I don't hunt anymore ... no where to store the meat if I kill something.

I mean no offense with this comment but, if you missed two last year, I sure hope you practiced for this year. A clear miss is better than a bad hit.

Nothing worse than a gut shot deer that runs for a few miles and then dies where you can't reach it.

I don't hunt anymore ... no where to store the meat if I kill something.

I mean no offense with this comment but, if you missed two last year, I sure hope you practiced for this year. A clear miss is better than a bad hit.

Nothing worse than a gut shot deer that runs for a few miles and then dies where you can't reach it.

None taken.

I stopped hunting over 30 years ago and we sold our deer camp. Never liked the taste of venison but I ate it because we hunted for meat and game pretty much accounted for all of It. Where I live now Deer are everywhere to the point where local municipalities contract out to have sharpshooters picking them off at night to control them. The meat is donated. Large property owners have select members of local archery clubs hunt their property. My buddy does this and he has to harvest 6 doe a year to keep his section. He can also fill his buck tag. It seems to me the sharpshooters are taking the small and scrubby rack ones out of the gene pool because I've never seen so many nice 8 pointers ever. i've even seen them looking both ways before crossing a road. When I hunted an 8 was considered a nice buck. Now they are run of the mill and pedestrian. I wish I did like venison because I really enjoyed hunting but I'm just not into racks and deer heads. Deer hunting was an awesome family experience but I'm very happy I don't have to eat venison anymore.

Waiting for muzzleloader season myself. Too hot here now (97 today) to be in the woods just yet. Killed 4 last year. We eat a lot of deer meat through the year, my wife and kids actually prefer it to beef.

My 11 year old and I completed our Hunter Safety Class last weekend and will be in the woods next Saturday - can't wait. He will be focusing on Turkey, and if no luck, targeting a few squirrels. Around Thanksgiving we will be after Deer. We of course will get some Trout time in - cast and blast is the way to go.

Take care,

Shmang

I have been wanting for a big buck to walk out it is just to hot to kill anything else. My biggest buck with my Mathews Z7 xtreme, and my first deer with a recurve bow.

post-64793-0-45455200-1570156841_thumb.jpeg

post-64793-0-52754300-1570156909_thumb.jpeg

Got deer food plot planted. We have no rain for a month now. Geeez!!! Me and HankyBoy managed a quick 6 bird limit of BlueWingTeal last Friday before the September season ran out. Used 20 ga with bismuth shot. My recovering wrist doesnt fit a gun stock well but can get end of trigger finger in and make shots. No problem fly casting just not full strength.

C48135-F4-020-E-422-E-81-E5-AF8896-B4143

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=88796

Always wanted “location” on everyone’s posts. So where you from that you get greenheads in September? Our big ducks doesn’t start till December here in M’isipi.

Yeah the first pic was last years season open. Woodies and mallards. The first season is only in for 4 days mostly local woodies and mallards. The second pic was 2 years on Christmas Day. We will start seeing some migrating ducks in the second season around mid November (2weeks long) if up north they get cold weather to push them down Our biggest duck hunting time is the 3rd season mid December through end of January. With the way the water is right now looks like I’m going to have to go to the lakes or the river to get any. It has been mid to upper 90s so to hot really to hunt.

No location. Whatever. Theres a big smile with that now. Guess people dont like to do that.

Kinda like cop pulled millineal over for not using turn signal. People dont have the right to know where Im going and no Sir after that either.