Steeldrifter

First fish of 2018 finally

MbuD1s.jpg
rCCvJq.jpg
HA5mgx.jpg
AHGjgl.jpg
RTJB7K.jpg
cJAhKA.jpg

Couldn't take it any longer, finally had a nice day with temps in the 70's and caught up "enough" on rod work where I can take a few hour break so I got out for about 4 hours on the Clinton. Was searching for steelhead but after 6 months of cold & snow I was just fine with anything that wanted to put a bend in the fly rod. Ended up landing a walleye and about a half dozen white suckers that were built like sherman tanks. Real enjoyable day after such a long winter and a good primer for the real steelhead trip to the Au Sable that is coming up before long.

Good stuff,Steve!Bout time you got to wet a line!

Been a long hard winter man thats for sure. Today is the first nice day we have head since October. Been constantly down in the 30's and even had about 1/2" of snow Tuesday morning. Now it hit 75 today. Supposed to be back into the mid 40's & 50's after tomorrow but the warmer temps are finally starting to come around a bit now.

That's a pretty Walleye. Nice suckers, too !!!

Good to see you're "back" ... out of the work "cave".

Great Steve, doesn't much matter what the first fish of the season are does it, just great to get out finally and to catch something is a bonus ! Supposed to be upper 60's here tomorrow, hoping to get out with that 10ft 4 wt I built from Johnny after the delays settled out. Just hoping the wind stays down is all. Right now is midge and wet fly time here.

Nice catch !

They were jumping all over the crystal meth chartreuse sucker spawn flies. Funny thing is I tried the same pattern in both orange and pink and not a single take. Switched back to chartreuse and the suckers were all over it again.