Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Horseshoes

Book Descriptions

I went looking for 'Hatches II: A Complete Guide to the Hatches of the North American Trout Streams by Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi 2004 ' on amazon and looked at the discription.

The one thing I have noticed is how loosely the term of ' North America' is used.

I have found some books use the term to describe the subject. 'Mayflies of North America' but when I receive the book it is only the U.S. that is covered, so my question is: Does Hatches II cover North America or just the United States?

Thanks.

Shoes

The authors categorize each mayfly species by location as East, Midwest, and West. In their species descriptions they refer to specific states (US), provinces (Canadian), and rivers. I don't remember any references to Mexico, although the range of many of the species covered certainly extends below the US border.

You should know that the focus of Hatches II is the United States of America. It does not give a good coverage of the Canadian distributions of mayflies (just one or two mentions.) There is an excellent treatment of Quebec mayflies (Les Ephemeres du pecheur quebecois by Yvon Dulude.) There must be other books covering mayflies in the other provinces.

here you go Sharon

MAYFLIES

AN ANGLER'S STUDY OF TROUT WATER EPHEMEROPTERA

Malcolm Knopp

and Robert Cormier

About the Authors

Malcolm Knopp, petroleum engineer by profession, has spent the better part of his adult life in Alberta, Canada chasing after trout (and the bugs they eat) and keeping detailed logs of the insects and their hatches, especially mayflies.

Robert Cormier, an engineering supervisor for CN Rail, started fly fishing in Ontario as a youth. His work has allowed him to fish waters all over the US and Canada, and to record his observations of aquatic insects through his illustrations.

Here's the link http://www.thebookmailer.com/Books/May/may.html

Mayflies by Knopp and Cormier is an excellent book, equal to or perhaps even better than Hatches II. However, although the authors may be Canadian this study also suffers from a mostly USA focus. Distribution of species is again categorized as East, Midwest, and West with a scattering of more detailed hatch descriptions which deal almost exclusively with American drainages. While the E, M, and W descriptors certainly apply into Canada, climatic differences alone will affect the range of these aquatic insects. Canada is huge and I believe it deserves its own study of stream insects.

Bugwater by Arlen Thomason, Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East by Dennis Paulson and Matching Major Eastern Hatches: New Patters For Selective Trout Henry Ramsay

These are the books I ordered. Come what may.

Bugwater is a great book. Although the species presented are regional, I think the descriptions and behaviors would translate well to similar species in other locations. And the photography is spectacular.

Bugwater by Arlen Thomason, Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East by Dennis Paulson and Matching Major Eastern Hatches: New Patters For Selective Trout Henry Ramsay

These are the books I ordered. Come what may.

I will say a few words (lol):

Bugwater is a beautiful book and I feel it is not so much a regional book as it shows how the insects live and goes through the different stages. Excellent close up pictures, great info on the bug, its' environment and the fly to tie to represent it. The pics are so excellent they make it easy for anyone to design their own. The best part? They tell you the fish that eat them. It may be full of beautiful pics but the info surpasses them. It has 17 chapters

1. The Morphing Mayfly
  2. Marching into Spring
  3. Grannom Mania
  4. PMDs, Perlodids, and the Next Wave
  5. Mckenzie Green Is the Thing in Late Spring
  6. Pale Evening Duns and the Clinger Tribes
  7. Getting Stoned
  8. Blood Bonds, Drakes, and a Drenching
  9. Going for the Gold(ens)
  10. Humongous
  11. Where waters Slow or Don't Flow
  12. Dog Day Doldrums
  13. Of Wings and Water
  14. Swim Before you Crawl
  15. The Halloween Hatch
  16. Bugs of Winter
  17. A Fish- Eye View of Insects and Flies

Matching Major Eastern Hatches: New Patterns For Selective Trout The book is categorized by the hatch and the patterns are new and refreshing. It is mainly based on the patterns and the step by steps are photographed clearly and information is given on the relationship of the fish feeding on the hatch. No space wasted here.

There are 1-2 SBS per Category and numerous patterns. It has 16 chapters.

1. CDC Thorax Duns and Modernizing Marinaro
  2. The DNA Spinner
  3. The Emerging Dun
  4. The Baetis Olive Hatch
  5. The Sulpher Hatch
  6. Large Drakes and Extended Body Dry Flies
  7. The Tricorythodes Hatch
  8. March Brown Nymphs and Their Cousins
  9. The Slate Drake Nymph
  10. Articulated Mayfly Nymphs
  11. The Hydropsyche Caddis Larva
  12. The Swimming Caddis Pupa