Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Long Have You Been Tying?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Poll: How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#316 Troutbum11

Troutbum11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

8 years for me.  been tying since I was 12 and I am 20 now. I am addicted, I love the hobby which has turned into a passion and the sport of it all.  hopefully i'll reach the 56+ range if I am very lucky ;)

Psalms:121

Check out my YouTube channel and Facebook below for more fly fishing and fly tying content:

YouTube: https://www.youtube....yI7Grak33rl-lrw

Facebook: https://www.facebook...bluelineangler/

- Ryan Cooper

#317 Rolf Jacobsen

Rolf Jacobsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

A little more than a year. I rely on this site quite a bit so "thanks" everyone.

Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

#318 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

as long as the earth has been round, right before 1492...

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#319 squire123

squire123

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Since my Grandfather taught me to tie in the Summer of 1956.  Still at it.

Squire

#320 cmchadwick

cmchadwick

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

A few months for me... Cheers :-)

Chris

#321 sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

I started tying flies in the seventh grade, around 2001, so about 12 years now. Started with basic trout patterns, but quickly evolved into bass, panfish, pike, muskie, saltwater and steelhead patterns...then about two years ago, I took the plunge into classic wet flies and full-dress salmon flies. Still improving in that area, and they're far from perfect, but I prefer to fish over tying flies, so I only really get any practice in the off-season, after all my boxes are filled (no small feat when you realize that I own 50+ fly boxes thanks to my desire to fish for everything that swims)...I hope to eventually fill a pair of 18x20 shadow boxes with these, but that may be a while.

#322 eric_sthjrsy

eric_sthjrsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

Its only been two months for me, but man I have learned so much in those months thanks to this site..... thanks all and hope to continually learn over the next few months....
Like a Cow..... peeing on a Flat Rock.....

#323 126lineman

126lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Been tying since I was 12 years old. Adds up to 41 years in the hobby. 

#324 Sundance

Sundance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I got my start in 1951 (14 years old) when Dan Bailey stopped giving his commercial rejects to kids for free.  He began charging a nickel, which my  brother and I thought outrageous.  Dan showed me how to tie a grey hackle peacock and I have been tying ever since - now 62 years.  Mostly trout and steelhead flies though I have been tying classic Atlantics now for about 10 years.  Still going strong!

#325 lucaseabass

lucaseabass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I started in the 1979, when I was 14 years old: a lot of flies came in and came out from my boxes.

Luca

#326 Juan Carlos

Juan Carlos

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

I started during the fly fishing season 1976, in Tierra del Fuego, Patagonia... and still doing it! Cheers!

Patagonia Argentina... Awesome!

#327 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

I guess it's now safe to add another 10 years to that post I made here from 2004. Sheeesh I'm getting old!

#328 STL_Geoff

STL_Geoff

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

I started when I was 12 or 13..something like that. Coming up on turning 29, so been doing it for a while.

#329 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

20 years if I count the years as a teen when my dad got me into it, but those were pretty pathetic renditions.  Still, I learned fundamentals. 

Came back to it in 2000, started producing commercially in 2004, mostly bass poppers and streamers, shad flies, and bugger-style trout flies.

What I like to do is pick a new pattern and fish it until I catch a fish.  I don't care about the best fly for the current conditions, I want to develop some confidence in my tie.  It's a fun game. 

To a previous poster's point, I am getting into doing some fancy stuff for the heck of it.  There's a popular streamer for char in Iceland I'm going to tie next.  I may try it on local trout, but it's very colorful, designed for salt-run fish.  Still, I'll give it a try and see ...

This is just a lot of fun!

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#330 612fisherman

612fisherman

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

About nine months.  I'm looking forward to the Spring to use the flies I have done so far.