Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Pair of 9' 5wt rods

HE2oJm.jpg
NclHs0.jpg
zSVrBB.jpg
cFvgC5.jpg
SH70D7.jpg

Pair of 9' 5wt 2pc rods done almost identical with just slight variation in cork arrangement. Don't get much call for 2pc rods these days but customer requested. Both have royal blue with white trim and burl reel seats.

Bluegill and a Red Ear ... very nice fish. Steve's fly rods are definitely worth every penny.

This particular pond had a breach in one of the levee walls during the rain from the hurricanes last fall. I'm pretty sure most of the smaller fish washed out of this pond. I have fished there for years and the panfish have all been on the small side of medium sized. This year all of the fish are very nicely sized and a couple of fish I have caught there have been close to a pound (Bream as well as Shellcrackers) I think the smaller fish washed out and bigger fish were able to stay put and have gorged on the smaller fish that were able to stay in the pond during the levee breach. I also am pretty sure that the Bream have spawned twice this year. I found a little flat where the beds are clean, not silted in and free of debris,so I think they are bedding again. I fish this pond often when I want to just get out for a couple of hours and try out some new flies. The fishing ended abruptly at 12:30 today when the temps topped 95 and I realized my water bottle was still in the truck.

The really sad thing about these ponds (3 total) is the state of NC in their infinite wisdom, has slated these ponds to be drained and filled in to accommodate a highway project.

Don't get much call for 2pc rods these days but customer requested.

Do you think modern multi piece rods have as good an action as a two piece?

Yeah now a days they do. Back when 2pc rods were still the most popular blanks and 4pc ones were just starting to become more common there was a noticeable difference in feel where the multiple piece blanks felt a bit more stiff due to the flat spots the multiple ferules created. Now over the past few decades ferule design has advanced so much its to the point where even most 7pc blanks feel just as smooth as the 2pc ones now a days.

1. This year all of the fish are very nicely sized and a couple of fish I have caught there have been close to a pound (Bream as well as Shellcrackers)

2. The really sad thing about these ponds (3 total) is the state of NC in their infinite wisdom, has slated these ponds to be drained and filled in to accommodate a highway project.

1. I've read, in a few publications, that big Sunfish are a sign that there are big predator fish. Big bass, pike family, Gar or Bowfin will "cull" a lot of the smaller Sunfish. This leaves more food for the remaining Sunnies to grow larger.

It's possible that the levee allowed some bass, etc., to get big enough to provide the needed culling. Tie some big sunfish imitations and see if there's some big bass in there.

2. The sad part is that there's a need for a highway project. Too many people, as always, leads to destruction of habitat in one way or another.

Oh yea, There are some very large Bass in 2 of the 3 ponds. I have caught fish up 7lbs in there. Today, I saw one that had to be close to 9-10 lbs today ,but he had lockjaw. The large bass have been in there as long as I can remember. This is the first year that the panfish have been oversized. I know they lost fish in the levee break, because we found rotting Bream in the woods where they got washed into. I have a buddy that worked for the Wildlife commission and was a fish head. He seemed to think that was a plausible possibility. I dont know for sure, but I sure like catching those big bream and am glad they are there !!

We were supposed to put the kayaks in the ponds today,but since I have to keep my smushed finger dry for a few more days, I fished the bank. Next week..Its ON

I had thought about the finger cots and may get a couple to see if they work..Good Idea!

The Highway commission has already purchased the property and paid the owner for that as well as a stipend for the cost of relocating his business (retriever trainer). That has been almost a year ago. They told him they would notify him and give him a year when they are ready to start the project,so, he,and the ponds will be there for at least another year. It could be several years before they get to that part of the project,who knows?