Fly Tying
pedrofly

Waxing your way to success.

Do you believe that wax is an important part of your fly tying?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope I have set this properly as I have never set up a poll before. I feel that the extra waxing of my threads in a very important aspect of my flytying especially for the tying of large classic salmon flies. Generally I tie these flies with unwaxed thread as I fo not wish the wax on most threads to discolour the floss body especially if I am using Japanese silks. But even when I am using waxed thread I feel that the extra waxing gives superior grip and so I need to use less thread to bind materials to the hook. I use custom made waxes (made by my flytying friends) of different types for different applications.

A curious question I know.

Pedro.

Where necessary and that is a lot of the time, I wax the thread for extra grip.

I use cobblers wax, clear soft wax and some home made soft wax.

I still cannot tie salmon flies like yours though Pedro.

I'm blaming the wax of course. huh.gif

I rarely dub, mostly hare's ears but when I do, I use a lump of bee's wax melted from a candle sheet. Thus I harbor a lurking suspicion that I'm scenting my flys unsure.gif

Hey Fishy your probably adding more scent if your using a floatant on your fly wink.gif

Ken cool.gif

I let the dubbing I'm using determine if I need wax or not, If it's fine stuff I can usually just twist it on but if it's coarse or simply wont stay put i'll use a little wax. I usually can just lightly rub wax on my thumb and finger tip a little and it works fine. cool.gif

I've never tried using wax before. If fine dubbing wont stick to the thread I find exhaling a breath slowly on my fingers holding the dubbing makes it moist enough. Every once in a while I'll lick my finger tip, but breathing on the dubbing works for me. Maybe I should try wax someday? I don't have any though.

Graham

I have to be a little more specific in my answer than the poll allows: I use it often, but not because it's essential. It's just much easier.

I use it sparingly when I dub a fly.

Best wax I ever use was Wonder Wax. Cant find it any more ive_been_ripped.gif

I have heard of folks making their own wax

Just a pointer... when I do dry flies, instead of wax I use Gink. I read that somewhere so I can't take the credit for it. I use it on the water, so why not build it right in to the fly?

Mike

I only use extra wax (usually the waxed thread is enough for most of my tying) when I'm dubbing the coarser materials, say like seal. I use just enough to make it a little tacky, but not goober the material down. Had a friend who was having problems with his bodies. When I saw how much wax he's used, I knew why. He caked it on so that the fibers were totally absorbed in the stuff. Once I showed him that you just needed enough to be "tacky" his bodies improved.

I use it when needed, but guess it's an intregal part, if you want to go off the basis that my threads are waxed to begin with.

So Peter thats how you kept one ahead of me in the MSO wink.gif I think of wax as a tool and will use it when the need comes up. Tyers who will never use wax I don't think have seen it used properly and in what conditions. I'll use it when I set wings I think the thread tightens smoother and it helps keep it from rolling.

It all depends on the dubbing, if it can be spun onto the thread then no. If it can then a lil bit of spit or usually the moisture from the glass I'm drinking from will do it. At first I used wax for everything. I don't think you really need it to be honest. The least amount of extra tools and gadgets you need the better off you are. Its hard enough to keep track of all you materials.