Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

watercolor santa rosa beach florida opportunities

Probably travelling here in the first part of April. Are there any opportunities access to catch any kind of fish from the beaches in the morning. If I go I know that I will go out with a guide for a day or two in a boat I was just wondering about other opportunities to get out and fish for an hour or two in the mornings with a realistic opportunity of catching something. Species? Fly selection? Etc? Thanks.

I did a little beach fishing on Navare Beach in July a few years ago. This is about 40 miles west of where you are going. I fished from just before day light to about an hour or so after sunup. I did have some fun on lady fish with some white schminnows. The bite just quit about an hour or so after sunup.

The spanish mackerel show up round these parts in March, pompano not long after. We also get schools of some very large jack crevalle that will melt the drag on an 8wt, I'll go chasing after them over other species when I get the chance.

As for surf flies, I can't go without a craft fur shrimp with medium lead eyes. Short chartreuse and white closes and white bait imitations will also pay dividends… I like size two.

If you get into some spanish, anything shiny will do, make sure to use a heavy flouro bite tippet or light wire toothy critter leader. I like a good piece fluorocarbon.

You may also run into redfish in the first trough…

Jack

post-27925-0-19466500-1391649929_thumb.jpg

Pompano with craft fur shrimp

post-27925-0-14291300-1391650241_thumb.jpg

post-27925-0-20744500-1391650455_thumb.jpg

White bait

IMG_0887.jpg

Spanish

DSCN0019_1767.jpg

post-27925-0-63747200-1391650765_thumb.jpg

Dave that white bait fly is a beauty. I love using mallard for cheeks. In yellow they make great pinfish imitations. What are the materials you used?

Thanks guys. It's really simple.

White icelandic sheep on the bottom, grey on top, gold or silver flash for a lateral line, and pink angel hair for gills. Some peacock hearl on top and cover with mallard flank.

Great video SBS, check out Rich's video on Shannon's Streamer while your there…

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Simple_Shad.htm

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Shannons_Streamer.htm

What is the body on your shrimp? Estaz? and those Jack Cravalle sound like a lot of fun.

The pictures of the fish just got me amped up Dave, I know you are! I have a mess of wood duck and redhead feathers from a guy I work with and i am going to have to recreate that last one. It is a beaut! Hope things are coming along for you!

Conrad

What is the body on your shrimp? Estaz? and those Jack Cravalle sound like a lot of fun.

It is…pearl root beer with hackle palmered through. It killed the drag on that 7/8 FWX, had to crank way, way down to even slow it down some. Very smooth on the outgoing , but became very rough on the retrieve. Was also worried that that poor GLX classic was going to let go! Great rod, my favorite to fish, however, it lacks the backbone (IMO) for fish this size. Not to worry, Cashed in a few favors with the wife and made an equipment upgrade or two this last summer. biggrin.png

The pictures of the fish just got me amped up Dave, I know you are! I have a mess of wood duck and redhead feathers from a guy I work with and i am going to have to recreate that last one. It is a beaut! Hope things are coming along for you!

Conrad

More and more stoke by the day!

Tied a whitebait not as good as yours but will fish. Had to sub silver pheasant for the duck. I like the duck better. I tied it a little too sparse. What are your winters like there? When does swimming weather start? Wife wanting to buy some property in Watercolor. Thanks

Dave, that's one of my favorite flies for pinfish and mojarra imitations. I didn't recognize it because mine don't usually come out nearly as nice, awesome work.

Tied a whitebait not as good as yours but will fish. Had to sub silver pheasant for the duck. I like the duck better. I tied it a little too sparse. What are your winters like there? When does swimming weather start? Wife wanting to buy some property in Watercolor. Thanks

Water starts to warm into the 70's in March, I'll start swimming and wading end of March first of April. Winters are normally mild, November and December are quite nice with cool nights and some days in the mid sixties low seventies. January and February can get cold with night time temps at or close to freezing for short periods of time. March can be a crap shoot of nice days laced with cold and breezy weather.

Dave, that's one of my favorite flies for pinfish and mojarra imitations. I didn't recognize it because mine don't usually come out nearly as nice, awesome work.

You sent me one as an extra on one of the first swaps I participated in, it wasn't long before I lost it…fish would not leave it alone! There's a few other you've that have sent on tying terrors. The majority of what I know came from the folks on this forum.

I think I used gadwall flanks for the on in the picture. I went on a duck feather spree a few years back, jeezo I have a LOT of duck feathers.

I was thinking that might be Gadwall over mallard due to the contrast in the pattern. When I tie up patterns that call for duck flanks I usually grab my gadwall bag of feathers.

AAAH.....the hackle wound thru the estaz kinda had me spooked. I do like estaz.

Thanks for the response Dave. Kentucky (southern) short 9 hour drive from Watercolor. Ill be there this spring. Do you ever throw a wedding veil? I plan on giving it a try. I fish it a lot. Thanks for sharing all your kind info.