Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Reef inhabitants

Most of these are other folks' patterns with a few minor tweaks. However, I take full responsibility for the structure of the reef. As they say it takes many years to build a reef! Today is nice but more rain and wind on the way up here. Eventually, I will get to try these out. You guys down south keep posting trip pics.

IMG_5690_zpsad4e646b.jpg

Nice reef ... several years in nature. Several months in captivity, so I've heard.

Nice bunch o' flies there, too.

A very respectable reef with some great looking inhabitants…All of those will feed the fish, really dig the crab claws. Seems all you need is a break in the weather!

I went out this morning on my friends boat, he brought a huge trout to the boat…reached down to retrieve the fish, ended up on the wrong side of the treble hooks as the fish swam away.

A very respectable reef with some great looking inhabitants…All of those will feed the fish, really dig the crab claws. Seems all you need is a break in the weather!

I went out this morning on my friends boat, he brought a huge trout to the boat…reached down to retrieve the fish, ended up on the wrong side of the treble hooks as the fish swam away.

Ouch!

I've heard of some big trout being caught up this way lately and the reds and flounder are getting active. Its usually pretty nice up here by May although not sure about this year. Did manage to get the skiff cleaned up and polished. Ready to slime her up again.

very nice ties, and I bet creating the reef was just as much fun. Would you mind haring a recipe for those muddler looking ones? They look like they will really push some water

very nice ties, and I bet creating the reef was just as much fun. Would you mind haring a recipe for those muddler looking ones? They look like they will really push some water

Sure, its based off of Capt Benson's Arctic Fox Baitfish I saw in Hatches Magazine except I didn't have the Fox so I used Arctic Goat for the head. Very simple material list.

Hook 2/0 SL12S Gamakatsu for mine (SC15 for original pattern)

Tied in mono loop to support a 2" or so olive zonker strip

Added some flash on the sides

Then tied in the Goat hair from the zonker to the eye of the hook. I tied the first couple of clumps by splitting the thread and wrapping but then switched to just tying in clumps the rest of the way. I have definitely not mastered that thread splitting technique.

Trimmed the head to shape and added the eyes.

I ran out of the holographic type eyes so I just used those rubber bumpers for cabinet doors and epoxied them in place.

Not sure how they will fish yet. Hopefully, that will come soon.

IMG_5665_zpsb364b2d3.jpg

How deeply? Bury a barb?

Hope you're doing good ... without that nasty saltwater infection getting worse.

Mike, I should have clarified… His hand got stuck with the hook, it did bury to the barb, however all is well.

Thanks for asking…dave

Pleasure. Glad to see all is well with your friend. I shouldn't say, glad to see it wasn't you, but I am.