Fly Tying
kimjensen

Securing eyes and finishing with UV on baitfish.

Hi.

Do you go over the eyes with UV resin, or do you just fill top and bottom gap? Do you go over materials too?

depends on the pattern you're tying really. Have a look at the thread i started on reducing gap in eyes. The mono tying works well. I sometimes like a little to soak into the material but I dont find eyes in salt water last too long so I put them on as a replaceable option unless using the thread wrap way which does hold them on well.

I saw your thread. I'm not too worried about using my UV resin :-)

As long as I can get them to stay on so the resin bonds them to the materials, I'm happy. :-)

What I've been doing is putting a small drop of the UV resin where I want the eyes to go, put the eye on and hit with the light. Once the eyes are in place I'll put a coat of the UV resin over the eyes and on the top and bottom forming a head. The eyes aren't going anywhere. Not sure how well that shows up in these pictures but the area from just behind the eyes to the hook eye is covered with UV resin.

post-309-0-56420400-1403315755_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-86728700-1403315812_thumb.jpg

What I've been doing is putting a small drop of the UV resin where I want the eyes to go, put the eye on and hit with the light. Once the eyes are in place I'll put a coat of the UV resin over the eyes and on the top and bottom forming a head. The eyes aren't going anywhere. Not sure how well that shows up in these pictures but the area from just behind the eyes to the hook eye is covered with UV resin.

post-309-0-56420400-1403315755_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-86728700-1403315812_thumb.jpg

Just FYI - UV resin isn't intended to bond opaque objects. If the light doesn't reach it, it doesn't cure. Your eyes most likely stay on because of the coating. They'd be more durable if they were attached with some sort of glue, but if it's working for you, great.

I usually attach the eyes with super glue or goop, and then often add a coat of UV or Aileen's Fabric Fusion over them to secure them. I do this especially with 3d eyes which I often use.

post-18514-0-03446400-1403362439_thumb.jpg post-18514-0-79928300-1403362478_thumb.jpg

Peterjay:

Some of the eyes are translucent, but since I press the eyes down in the CCG there's usually a bit sticking out. Plus I usually shine the light from the top and the material doesn't block it. Believe me they don't move and the top coat insures it.