Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Couple of cork poppers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

Bought a $2 bag of cork bottle stoppers yesterday at the craft store. I've since been hiding from the heat and humidity in the cool of my basement turning them into these little guys. Not factory-perfect, perhaps, but should be good enough for bluegills and the 10-12" bass they'll get presented to.

Attached File  20160811_222133.jpg   59.85KB   4 downloads

Attached File  20160811_222301.jpg   90.2KB   5 downloads

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#2 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

go blue     rich mc

#3 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

They look just how a cork popper is suppose to look. They look perfect to me and I'm sure they will catch anything that a factory made foam popper head with an airbrushed paint job would catch. There's just something about cork poppers that appeal to me.

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

I don't know, it's like deer hair in a caddis, feathers in a streamer, calf hair wing in certain dry flies, there are other effective ( sometimes more effective) ways to tie but sometimes it seems there is nothing like the old standard. In this case cork. Nice !

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#5 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Those poppers scream, "Eat Me!"

Nice proportions on the hook & cork.

BTW, what's the hook you are using?

Always quit when you're through.

#6 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Rich, pleaseeee don't tell me you are a fan of *ichigan?

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#7 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Good job and well shaped!  

#8 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. smile.png I have to agree with you, Dave G. -- there's something about cork that just seems right for a popper. Deer hair is fun but laborious and messy and they get waterlogged. Foam--eh. I like and use foam for other types of flies, but I'm not a huge fan of foam poppers.

Hatchet Jack, the hook on the yellow popper is actually a streamer hook, #6, 3X long. I think it's a Daiichi hook, but I'm not sure the model number (it was part of a big lot of hooks I bought on eBay).  The red one is on my preferred popper hook, the Mustad 3366. That particular one is a #4.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#9 fshrmanms

fshrmanms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

great job! classic; know the fish will love em!!

#10 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Nice ones

#11 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

Bryon, they look great! wub.png

IMO, most poppers that are laboriously adorned are no more effective than basic versions, and agree with what the others have said. Your's have a very classic look to them. 

As far as using cork, no it's not perfect, but neither is anything else we use, and each has it's own appeal IMO. 

If you were selling these, and I was in the market for poppers & saw them displayed, I would have no hesitation with considering them for purchase. No, they're not "perfect", but may certainly be "ideal". smile.png

#12 Brian Myers

Brian Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

Be sure to sharpen up that point on the red one. Mustad 3366's always need sharpening if they're larger than size 10.

#13 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

Brian, you're quite right about the 3366's needing sharpening--their only shortcoming IMHO. I did sharpen all of them up, and it appears the fish approve. smile.png

Attached Files

#14 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,626 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

Nice!  I like the poppers, although they're "fancier" than I tie and fish with.  Love the Bass.  

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#15 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Nice....and tell the folks how simple/quick corks can be shaped from the utility corks....
big_bug.jpg
102_1016.JPG
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...