Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

More foam stuff

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

From the F3 frog videos....
0E23E1F1-C266-47CE-8749-243D634B4058_zps

CE43F561-6D10-4764-A016-2C3A9897A642_zps

3AEADFE8-BFAD-41B1-954E-41F3E71D4C5F_zps
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#2 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

Excellent, will catch fisherman and the FISH
Kenduardo's Lure & FlyBuffalo, WyomingEstablished: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!" 😎

#3 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

Nice!

Especially like the orange one.It would be hard for a fish to avoid these.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#4 Chia

Chia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Is there a pattern available for this fly?

#5 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Negative ghost rider... I run across stuff snap a pic and figure it out and do my version. Important to not restrict hook bite by puttin much foam on the bottom of the hook. Got this pic from Pininterest and fashioned my version. I'm grabass I guess I don't follow patterns or submit to databases, sorry....Im new to this foam stuff only did hoppers in the beginning...
80F34989-F9B2-43A3-BDF6-AB2147B533EA_zps
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#6 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

Similar stuff I ran across
16959C2A-8A12-4F86-A145-F6ADE9850F15_zps

FABF0F51-9B09-4611-9540-3DC78CA9CCDE_zps

96E8E95B-3313-4100-9519-7727ECDD5011_zps

5D1B79E2-9855-4B7E-BF92-3339DBC57E99_zps

2AB1F632-9BF0-46F5-AFFD-9E94F546720D_zps

#7 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

denduke, great patterns... know some bass will feel the bite when they slurp a couple of these
Kenduardo's Lure & FlyBuffalo, WyomingEstablished: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!" 😎

#8 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Side question about the vise: is it a cam lever, and how do you like it?
Bimini15

#9 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

Not sure which vice? All the pics are off pininterest.... Been doin this for years but never got an expensive vice. The Lil Orvis is not cam I got for rotary on lil stuff and motel rooms. The fishnet cheap rotary and bunches of the "Thompson" type Sunrisers,I think, that I use mostly for big stuff that I shower down on the cam! Notice the universal tool holder, chunk of styrofoam! Hehe....
C6619A69-BD49-48B0-B9F6-D8ACC8BC55A0_zps

#10 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

Interesting hopper... Could do a real meaty one for bass with the wide folded foam and big black eyes, lil deer hair...Similar to the above patterns....prolly improve on it with some kinda wings/big back legs(knotted rubber like da frogs)..for the angler; old bucket mouth prolly wouldn't mind either way...
My take on elements emphasizing the right thing even impressionistic to its fullest to make standing it out, adds to the final complete commitment/ excitability of the fish to strike. Prominent legs on the frog so big legs on the grasshopper seals the deal so to speak... Prolly over thinking this....
A947B5D6-7A64-44A0-929D-8BF0E011B186_zps

My lil hopper for droppers for stream trout
IMG_00395.JPG
IMG_00423.JPG
Tied in mono loops for and aft to loop leader for depth adjustment...
IMG_00732.JPG

#11 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

I run across stuff snap a pic and figure it out and do my version. Important to not restrict hook bite by puttin much foam on the bottom of the hook. Got this pic from Pininterest and fashioned my version. I'm grabass I guess I don't follow patterns or submit to databases, sorry....

Same here.  I screenshot a bunch, then try to tie something similar. 

Good looking hoppers.  I had several foam crickets this summer, before they got all chewed up. 

Attached Files

#12 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

Flat rock native and mikechell....jumping in here sorry...12 yrs
http://www.flytyingf...e=2#entry683009

Shore would be more informative than "0 warning points"

#13 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:08 AM

"more foam stuff"...why not a couple fresh off the vice.

Attached Files

#14 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

Flat rock native and mikechell....jumping in here sorry...12 yrshttp://www.flytyingf...e=2#entry683009
Shore would be more informative than "0 warning points"

Hear ya, Got some ideas, But, for now we just the "... Be nice, police..."

whatever can be done to improve honest and sincere communication is at the top of my agenda.

Gotta construct everything in a cost- effective framework.. The quality here, to me, is totally amazing, since it is FREE.. not to say there is no room for improvement, Steel knows it , we all know it, but IT changes cost time and money. I am volunteering to help free up others time... The warning points thing has become almost meaningless... lucky for me, since clowning around has not got me banished... I am enjoying the Art and brilliance of thousands, and it is only a few keystrokes to get here. It is a great deal, it will be even a better deal... Just keep identifying the problems and keep proposing solutions.. The founders know Quality, heck-just look at the flyrod pictures..

Keep posting,

Ken

#15 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

Chia! Found the video from the F3 frog that may be what you are looking for patternwise. The Plopper....
https://m.youtube.co...ar5bbVNmdwQ-NoQ