Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
timeflies

Simple little pickerel/bass fly

The late great Ed Storey of Feathercraft long ago tied a very similar fly for use on the denizens of the FL Gulf Coast beaches.

Rocco

Oh really?? This was just me messing around with new materials a few years back, guess a good fly works the world over

Silhouette, flash, movement--all a fly needs. Simple but deadly, I like it.

I should tie more patterns that look like this. Too often I get caught up in that fun tier's game called What Else Can I Squeeze Onto This Hook?

Seems like I actually caught more fish back when all my flies had this simplicity--of course that could just be me misremembering the past; maybe not, though.

Anyway great fly -- now let's see a pic of it lodged in the corner of a lunker bass's mouth! :)

Silhouette, flash, movement--all a fly needs. Simple but deadly, I like it.

I had a whole thing written up, but I didn't want to start a conversation that hijacked the thread ... so I'll just say this ...

Silhouette, flash, movement AND contrast --- the red and white provides excellent contrast that's been a proven color combo for decades, in the right water conditions.

There's a lot of variations of that type of pattern. This one I've tied for years, I call it an Estaz Bug. I think I got the idea from a Lefty Kreh pattern, but was trying to come up with an imitation of a Mr. Twister grub. It's always caught fish for me, especially the pearl, but faded from my fly box, not sure why, too simple, not realistic enough. I think I'll add it to this year's resurrection brigade and see if it will still catch fish. A bit of lead wire wrapped around the middle of the shank, tie in the marabou tail and flash. wrap the estaz and then trim it too shape.

post-309-0-04580000-1491253177_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments guys! And yeah I love tying big complicated monstosities as much as the next guy but always seem to catch my fish on the simple ones. This one was tied weightless which lets you fish it like a zara spook but they can be deadly with some weight added and fished deep!