Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Clouser Pattern Bluegill

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

Is there a Clouser Pattern that imitates a bluegill? I want to tie one for pike.

Thanks

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

I would think the sunfishes are the furthest thing from a Clouser pattern.  The Clouser mimics slenderer bait fish ... rather than flat sided sunfish.

Of course, you can tie the Clouser with similar colors to your local sunfish and it will probably get eaten, since the pattern is such a proven lure.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

I concur with Mike that the clouser is not  a good fly to imitate a wide body bait fish.  Most of the lakes I've fished for pike have good populations of yellow perch.   Two choices a natural looking clouser.   Olive over yellow over orange with black stripes added with a permanent marker or a fire tiger one.  Fluorescent green over fluorescent yellow over fluorescent orange with the black stripes added.  They should also pass for sunfish. 

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

I would just make your own kind of pattern. I do that for peacocks imitating a mayan cichlid with Congo hair and eyes... hence my mayan Congo hair clouser that slays the peacocks 

Also fun trying out something you came up with the night before

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#5 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

You're probably familiar with the EP style flies, but, just in case, I'll suggest them because they do a better job imitating pan fish.

#6 Striperknight

Striperknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

How about something like this?

Attached Files

#7 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

How about something like this?

Nice. That would work. Thanks

#8 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

$.02
Here's a couple outa EP fibers. If you take the plunge. Doesn't take much and tie it in the middle fold back move ahead with next amount. Trim with scissors and I cheat on colors with sharpies. Glue on some eyes. I got a clear hank of EP and tied lotta big saltwater stuff and stil got half the hank. Hank is bout $8 though...
If you "favor" the top and bottom of the hook tying the fibers helps create the profile of the bream....They say Congo hair is cheaper and works just as good.
Google some simple instruction videos that are around is helpful...

IMG_0989.jpg

http://www.flytyingf...940#entry703922

http://www.flytyingf...947#entry704068

You can get the flat /high profile with rabbit strips.

https://flyflasher.c...nny-bream/17306
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#9 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

Very nice!