Fly Tying
vicente

best time of year to fish South FL

My brother and I are going to try to visit my sister in South FL next year to see her and her husband but more importantly fish for things we can't catch in northern CA. I have always wanted to go after tarpon since I was a kid, baby tarpon seem like the best option for us when should we try to be there for the best chance at them? Also interested in snook at other fish.

Spring and summer are a great time for baby (and big) tarpon, as well as snook. Just about everything is biting that time. It's hot, the mosquitoes are out in full force, and the snowbirds stay at home. Summer is my favorite time of the year

My brother and I are going to try to visit my sister in South FL next year to see her and her husband but more importantly fish for things we can't catch in northern CA. I have always wanted to go after tarpon since I was a kid, baby tarpon seem like the best option for us when should we try to be there for the best chance at them? Also interested in snook at other fish.

Vicente, where in South Florida?

Vicente, baby tarpon are resident year round but can get cranky at times. IMO like many fisheries, the fish are most comfortable when you are most comfortable. The time frame you listed should be good. Keep in mind "baby" tarpon can mean less tha a pound up to 80 lbs, bring appropriate gear. Most will be in the 5-10 lbs range, I generally use a 6-8 wt with the 6 getting the most use. Snook should be out of their winter hideout and looking to put on weight from the summer spawn. Reds (which hate me, lol) will be there as always, the speckled seatrout (actually in the drum family) will also be going at it. Spring time is a great time to fish in the greater Charlotte Harbor area. Google Fishing Franks, it is a tackle shop in Port Charlotte that has very good and up to date information on fishing the area. I believe they also have archived reports to peruse (I think). The canals in Cape Horrible, I mean Cape Coral <grin>, can be good producers or so I hear from reputable sources. Further south past Naples on US 41 (Tamiami Trail) you will find a great fishery for baby tarpon and snook. I'll be happy to give you or anyone more detailed info on that. There are also the exotics in the Glades (fresh water side) as well and at that time of year they should be on fire, hundreds of fish a day kind of on fire. It really depend on how low the water level is, lower water = more fish in a smaller area. The exotics are an favorite of mine. There is also Lake O within an hours drive, but Caloosa Bug has probably forgotten more about that place than I will ever learn I'd contact him about that. There is more, you just need to narrow it down a bit more. Will you be on foot or will you have a boat? How much time can you devote to fishing?

You could also get into the beach snook depending when you go. I did that a couple times this year, no luck, but still fun and had shots...

Flats, I agree. Snook on the beach might not be quite there yet at that time, it all depends on water temps etc. If the family wants a beach day, it's perfect. Sanibel is famous for beach snook. Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel is worth a try too, many people fish from the bank and lots of culverts to fish. Heck it's worth doing the wildlife drive just to go, I highly recommend it.

This recommendation comes from previous discussions. I'm not a salt water angler, but I used to do some in North Carolina, and Florida isn't much different.

Tie up some light, quarter sized or less, crab patterns. Small, very slow sinking ... fish them as near to bridge and pier pilings as you can. Sheepshead should be hitting all Summer long. Reds, Snook and Sea Trout will all hit those, too.

7wt will be just fine. Unless you are looking for an excuse to acquire a 6wt, then yes you will never catch anything without a 6 wt! LOL!

My brother will most likely be using my 7wt so 6 would be nice to have I wouldn't mind adding one to the arsenal, and I have a 6wt lamson liquid to go on it.

I worked in Miami back in early 80s during the riots.

I didnt put a whole Lotta effort into it but me and a couple buddies would jump in a pick up truck on the weekends and just fish canals or any place you saw water all the way down to the keys.

I can tell you this right now, baby Tarpon between 5-20 lbs. I dont know if you can have any more fun than that standing up.

If I was going to Florida and I could afford to hire a guide I would focus on the guide that did baby Tarpon and snook.

[quote name="Mike West" post="713402" timestamp="1514321123

If I was going to Florida and I could afford to hire a guide I would focus on the guide that did baby Tarpon and snook.

Based on what I have read in this forum, I agree. I would also try to get Bob LeMay if I had the budget. If low budget I would try for Flats Roamer, if his skiff is running, and he needs Outfitter practice. I hear he works cheap, like for a few packets of white pseudohair. :)