Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
epzamora

Bass flies, Clousers, frogs, poppers, oh my

Although it seems we've had a reprieve from the drought this year in California, I started fishing for bass 2 months ago, ignoring moving water and concentrating on still. I haven't been out as much as I would like but plan on going again tomorrow (it's been almost a month!).

I started tying trout flies with my new vise over the fall and winter, but bass flies are so much more fun (and easier).

I've been bringing a buddy new to fly fishing and he's loving the foothill lake we've been concentrating on this spring. Here are some of the flies I've been trying out for largemouth bass. Let me know what you think.

3BaitfishFlies_zps3z9enwt8.jpg

GreyClouser_zpsxqimvphp.jpg

BlueFeatherClouser_zpsmakcztok.jpg

Here's a shot of the lake we've been fishing. That's the buddy in the distance

BeachedJoey_zps8rqtwtv9.jpg

And though targeting LMB, i stumbled across this crappie fishing a grey and white clouser.

Crappie_zpsfyldfww6.jpg

and now for a few of the bass bugs i've tied today. (cutting the blue floor tile by hand is NOT the way to go smile.png

JoeysFrog_zps2wqltpnz.jpg

LakerFly_zpszjaf6q5t.jpg

BlueZB_zpsr8hkswws.jpg

MyFrog_zpskdssegtx.jpg

eric

fresno, ca.

Nice looking flies! The frog popper at the bottom is my favorite, but they all look good. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for bass fishing to start here in Michigan.

Thanks Bryon! That bottom frog, and the other similar, are using wapsi's hard foam saltwater model.

Two more tied after posting last night/this morning:

WhitePopper_zpszbsr6ohy.jpg

Gurgler1_zpszhkks56w.jpg

eric

fresno, ca.

BlueZB_zpsr8hkswws.jpg

Nothing against square head flies ... But I much prefer a round punch for such foam.

All good looking flies, Eric.

Those look pretty good, you aren't to far from me what lake is that that you're fishing? I love bass fishing with a fly rod. or any other rod for that matter.

mike and eric- If you guys are like me, if the flies catch fish then who cares! But if round poppers are your thing and you don't own a punch a fingernail file will round them out just fine!

Thanks! None of these various styles are my "thing." just yet. I'm new to top water bass fishing but i've pulled a few along the top just to see how they pop. topwater hasn't begun here yet. I've been catching almost everything on clouser minnows. wanna see my version of a clouser minnow? Naw, i didn't think so lol

eric

fresno, ca.