Fly Tying
FishAholic85

C&F Design Fly Tying Tools

I have recently been thinking about investing in some C&F tools, like a Bobbin holder and Dubbing Twister rotary style.

But before I take such a plunge and invest in such high end tools, which might not do any better of a job then a $9.00 ceramic bobbin and a $12.00 dubbing twister rotary style.

I would like hear from those who have some of C&F tools and what they think of them.

Also is there any benefits of using a rotary twister over a standard dubbing twister?

I have both size bobbins and enjoy using them when I'm tying flies larger then 16, I also have the hackle pliers (non rotary) and they are the absolute best ever from the perspective of gripping power and fine work.... I'm a tool junkie btw.

I've used the C&F bobbin. It didn't make me a better tier,

but it is comfortable and looks really cool. I think I'm going

to buy myself one for Christmas. Like Salty...I'm a tool

fanatic.

Mike

Another tool junky here! :wallbash:

All their tools, as you know, are expensive. They are all very well made, whether they do the job better than other tools is debatable. However, in most cases they will be more pleasurable to use.

Of the C & F tools I have..

Bobbin holder, comfortable in the hand and the tension is easily adjustable. It's main advantage is the foam insert at the base of the ceramic tube. If your thread breaks it doesn't shoot back down the tube! (worth the money for that reason alone) It also keeps the thread tensioned when your not tying with it.

Non-rotary hackle pliers, what salty dog said.

Rotary hackle pliers, best and most versatile tool I have. I use them for so much more than just wrapping hackles. Grip is excellent, they are very comfortable to use and offer excellent control.

I take it you mean the turbo dubbing twister? I don't have that tool. I recently saw another tier giving a demo using a cheaper turbo dubbing twister and I was very impressed with the dubbing ropes he manufactured with it and I really can't see the C & F one doing a better job.. though it does look sexier. :rolleyes:

Oooh OOOh OOOoooh, can I add to this. Salty and Mike know I am a tool enthusiast to the tenth power. C&F bobbins, rock!!! my absolute favorites. As for Dubbing twirler, I like the Dynaking one, the long handle of the C&F, well not my favorite. As for their bobbins I now have 56 of them.

Remember the one that dies with the most toys wins. Wins what?, heck if I know.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hahahaha Futzer! To answer your question, I was fortunate enough to receive one was a gift and it has become my main bobbin. I would much rather change the switch the thread out of the bobbin so I dont have to switch the bobbin - I love it that much!

Hahahaha Futzer! To answer your question, I was fortunate enough to receive one was a gift and it has become my main bobbin. I would much rather change the switch the thread out of the bobbin so I dont have to switch the bobbin - I love it that much!

And young man, I have not seen any new patterns posted lately. Oh wait, I have been lax in my duties to the forum, we have had a few Mrs. Futzer health things going of here of late. Hope I didn't miss too much. I will stay late and do my homework catch up.

Cheers, Jeff.

As far as making dubbing ropes, I have the dubbing brush machine and find that to be more efficient and also allows for better consistency control when mixing dubbing.

As far as making dubbing ropes, I have the dubbing brush machine and find that to be more efficient and also allows for better consistency control when mixing dubbing.

Does it do #32 bodies, or extended? Cheers, Jeff.

Does it do #32 bodies, or extended? Cheers, Jeff.

Darn it Jeff... now I won't be able to relax again until I try. :bugeyes:

As for their bobbins I now have 56 of them.

$2500 worth of bobbins!!!! Jeff, you are the KING tool enthusiast!

:lol: I swear...you two and your "micro" flies. Skilled tiers tie them bigger so everyone

can actually see the perfection. :j_k: :hyst:

Mike

As for their bobbins I now have 56 of them.

$2500 worth of bobbins!!!! Jeff, you are the KING tool enthusiast!

:lol: I swear...you two and your "micro" flies. Skilled tiers tie them bigger so everyone

can actually see the perfection. :j_k: :hyst:

Mike

Mike brings up a valid point. Lol :ph34r:

Futzer, you are my hero!

56 C&F bobbins!

Well thats enough evidence for me to take the plunge and buy a bobbin and one more tool! but which one hackle pliers or Turbo dubbing twister :wallbash:

Arkansas Mike, I was hoping that the C&F tools would make me a better tier. :P

alas I will have to spend countless hours at the bench not only to become a better tier but to justify those C&F tools, which = Awesome! Now were did I but my wallet?

My 50 through 57th bobbins were C&F's and they are the most comfortable and best performing bobbin out there. Also like the dubbing brush/picker, and hackle pliers

I know this is a old post,would just like to say Futzer you are my hero also,thought i was bad with 25 of them.