Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

Antron/EP brush/dubbing brush bugger???

I recently found this strange fly that is now one of my favorite flies- it's so buggy when wet and just catches so many more fish than a standard bugger. I lost it cry.gif and don't have pictures, but it's easy to describe- gold tungsten beadhead, optional wire underbody, flashy tinsel body, and olive marabou mixed with crinkly flashabou. What serves for the hackle is the strange bit. It's soft olive antron, tied back so it appears to be palmered hackle.

I can't find the fly on the web, and don't know how to get that hackle effect (other than prebought brushes I just researched) If anyone knows the pattern name or knows how to make antron or z-lon look like that please let me know. Is this some sort of odd synthetic hackle product? If so what is it called? I need to know so I can get/tie more! I've experimented but can't figure it out, as per usual. rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the site, Samson. I hate to tell you, but without a picture, your description could be a number of flies.

While a photo would be useful, sounds like the bugger was tied with eyelash yarn or the equivalent. There are a number of products with similiar characteristics to the one described by the OP, finding the right one is up to you without a bit more of a hint. Easiest solution is to go back to the store you got the pattern from and get more. Barring that, go through some of the online catalogs and find an equivalent product. The problem is not finding something that will serve, the problem is sorting through all the alternatives.

click that little star on your chrome browser and youll save whatever page in your bookmarks for future reference

i do not know about other browsers (firefox, microsoft edge, opera etc) but i'm gonna bet they also have a way for saving bookmarks

bookmark.jpg

I bought something like that a while back as a sample and the material to tie it, but at the moment don't have it in my memory blanks, polar chenille -ice chenille - cactus maybe..

A search turns up this bookmark? http://www.algonkinflyfishers.com/uploads/9/5/8/8/9588524/palmer_chenille_bugger.pdf

and http://www.algonkinflyfishers.com/uploads/9/5/8/8/9588524/tying_the_polar_chenille_bugger.pdf

While a photo would be useful, sounds like the bugger was tied with eyelash yarn or the equivalent. There are a number of products with similiar characteristics to the one described by the OP, finding the right one is up to you without a bit more of a hint. Easiest solution is to go back to the store you got the pattern from and get more. Barring that, go through some of the online catalogs and find an equivalent product. The problem is not finding something that will serve, the problem is sorting through all the alternatives.

And actually I found this pattern in a drift boat on a brookie pond!

I tie my dubbing buggers with super kraken from fly tyers dungeon very leggy and buggy with lots of movement, it has some flash but he has versions that don't.