Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
caloosa bug

Day at the beach. South Fl.

The wife is ready for a day at the beach with the kids. Now that I am in ,whole heartedly, to fly fishing, I'm looking for somewhere to take them where I can do some beach fly fishing while they play.

I'm looking for somewhere that's not too crowded, a short walk from a parking lot, and a chance to hook something on fly. It can be west palm beach area, or ft. Myers/ Sanibel.

We usually go to Bunche beach in Ft. Myers, but fishing is just ok there. I just started researching and right now, I'm thinking maybe Sanibel might be my best option. Lighthouse beach, Northern beach, or blind pass. I've read a bunch of Norm Zeigler's literature and articles..very informative!

Another option is the lover's key area.!

Then again the east coast is not out of the question.

Any thoughts, or experiences are appreciated.

My only thoughts on this topic are ... forget fishing. There are times when you truly should concentrate on the Wife and kids.

Drifting off down the beach is not ... that.

I agree with Mike. Fly fishing takes too much concentration and action on your part.

Surf fishing is different. There you bait up your rod, add 1/2 ton of weight and pitch it into the surf. Then you sit back in your beach chair, break out a soda, chat with your wife, watch the kids, etc., etc. You could even enjoy a picnic lunch, or even toss a frisbee with the kids. If a fish does bite, it's a bit of excitement for everyone, but otherwise, it doesn't require much of your attention.

Oh, you guys are no fun. Just kidding, that is great advice!

I don't really plan on much fishing. I am still bringing the 8wt. though. A few of my first ever errant casts into the salt with a fly is all I'm looking for. Sand castles and seashells will be the main focus for sure.

My wife went last time without me and enjoyed the beach on the northern tip of Estero island. Looks fishy in satellite images. I've been around that area several times in a boat, but never fished it. It'll be cheaper than the toll and parking for Sanibel too. I'd be tickled with even a ladyfish or catfish. May head over in a few weeks after school gets out. We'll see how it goes.

post-59266-0-71616400-1494903686_thumb.jpg

I look out at some of the shorelines I visit, and go for the spinning rod. My fly rod casting is good out to about 75 feet, although I don't like casting that far. I've heard of people catching fish "in the surf" ... but I've never hooked anything in less than 3 feet of water. Fly fishing in wind and waves just seems too much like work. Wrong equipment, undesirable conditions. Wind and waves are just not my "thing".

If you're going to fly fish, then go with 3 to 4 inch clousers.

White ... silver/chrome ... light green/chartreuse ... generally, bright to white will be your go to colors for clear salt water.

Tan ... blue ... red, with weight for crab patterns.

That is based on what I've read and been told, and lures I use when spin fishing in salt.

Thanks Mike. Waves in this area is usually minimal. The passing boats generate more waves than the surf.

I was thinking of some clousers also, along with a few other small baitfish patterns including schminnows and maybe some small, flashy ep patterns. I think you're right about the bright to white idea.

Here's how I used to handle that situation (long before I ended up with six grandkids....). We'd stay at a place called Crescent Beach on Siesta Key (right next to Sarasota...). With my two kids and wife sound asleep I'd be up an hour before sunup -then I'd be fishing at first light on foot down toward an area called Point of the Rocks (we're talking 20 to 25 years ago when my kids.... were still kids... At any rate I'd be off the water just before 9Am and back to our rooms - usually before anyone was even up... Worked like a charm - I got to feed my fishing jones and was still able to do all the family stuff... We'd even manage a bit of strolling along the beach as the sun faded (of course me with rod in hand to make an occasional cast - and catch/release a snook or two as we strolled along the beach into darkness...).

I never planned it - but that ability to stay right on the beach worked pretty well for a fanatic angler that still had family responsibilities.... Those vacations ended as the kids neared their teenage years but it was a great time back then. Back then the south Florida area wasn't very attractive at all and you were always worried about family safety, etc. The gulf coast of Florida back then was the place to be with a family....

Pick a gulf beach, and you're going to have shots at snook this time of year. Sanibel is a great little island. I like Bowman's and Blind pass the best.

(If you chase snook, just remember, if your feet are wet, you are standing too close. Fishing occurs from up on the sand to 60' out.

White is right. Schminnows, Deceivers, EPs, Seaducers, or anything that resembles a baitfish. 2-2½" matches typical forage. Most flies are best fished unweighted. I use a drop of Xink to get them to break the surface tension. )

I can't really recommend too many beaches, as Englewood --> Venice is my territory. Those beaches are LOADED with shark teeth. Which might be another option!

shark's teeth (prehistoric -dark charcoal color, part of the beach environment), shelling, lots to recommend gulf side beaches.... The best part is that at dawn the sun is behind you and there are always lots of small snook much, much closer to the sand than you would guess since the blend into the surf (what little there is of it...) so well.... If one of your kids uses spinning gear - small silver spoons, bucktail jigs or Gulp tailed leadheads will get some attention as well as the small flies (anything with a 1/0 hook is probably too large for beach snook...).

Post up how your trip works out. Me, this time of year we're usually working in a cloud of mosquitoes down in the Glades - at least that's where I was yesterday....

Post up how your trip works out. Me, this time of year we're usually working in a cloud of mosquitoes down in the Glades - at least that's where I was yesterday....

Will do Capt. We have plenty of swamp turkeys and gallon-nippers here a couple hours north also. It's the no-see-ums, down there that drive me crazy.