Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Number of flies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: How many flies do you carry?

How many flies do you carry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mmarkey

mmarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

How many flies do you carry on an average fishing trip, and what is the general breakdown?

I generally carry 5 boxes, 2 with nymphs/ wets, 1 with just weighted flys nymphs/boogers, 1 with Streamers, and 1 with Drys. Problem comes trying to remember which pocket which box is in, before I end up taking them all out. dry.gif wallbash.gif
Mike Markey
BE THE HERON!!

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,979 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

Mike i moved this post from the reports section to the fly fishing section, i thought you would get more replys in this section cool.gif

BTW i voted over 200.....i would say on average between the 3-4 boxes i carry i probaly have around 350-400 flies on me on any givin trip blink.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

I try to have only one box on me while fishing, though there are usually several in the car or cabin if I need them. There are certainly less than 100 flies in it. Most of them will be nymphs and other wet patterns, with a few streamers mixed in. I always have a few dries kicking about but they hardly ever get used. If I'm going dry fly fishing I have a separate box for that...

#4 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

I only carry about 40-50 with me. That's about it. Unless I'm on a long trip. Then I'll have more. But rarely do I use up that many. And when I do, I give up. LOL. But I don't stock up a ton of different patterns. Mostly a variety to match different water levels, and keep it simple.

#5 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

i'm gonna reply with what i have in all my boxes which there are 7 of so over 200

i never really know what flies i'm gonna need

but lets say i am fishing the local trout pond i carry one box which has about 50 flies in it
Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#6 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

couple hundred or so

OSD.
user posted image

#7 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:14 PM

When I'm trout fishing it's usually well over 200 but if it's steel then it's probably closer to 150. I can be a real packrat. rolleyes.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#8 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:25 PM

i always carry the motherload 400-1,000 on any given trip just incase someone needs flies or i get to swap flies with another tyer.
i have my go to box(Nymphs) but always lug around 3 plano boxs of everything elese.
Brent.

#9 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:41 PM

1,000!! ohmy.gif

Is that Plano boxes or Piano boxes. laugh.gif

#10 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:45 PM

I voted over 200, probably part of my problem.
I often spend more time looking for a fly than I do fishing. dunno.gif

The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#11 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:37 PM

I don't know how to answer this because I fish in the salt and in streams. In saltwater it depends on what species and if I'm wading or in a boat. Wading I'll only have 10 to 20 flies with me, mostly clousers in either chart/white or tan/white. It's too hot down here to carry a lot of stuff. I'd rather be able to carry an extra bottle of water than 2 more boxes of flies.

If i'm in a boat I'll have more but it also depends on the species. I can only have 10 or 12 Tarpon flies in my stretcher case so that's how many I bring. For Snook and redfish from a boat I might have 2 dozen MOL.

For trout, 3 or 4 small fly boxes with 100 flies total.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#12 dabalone

dabalone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 08:25 PM

If I get too organized and take too much, invariably the fish won't bite. If I don't take enough the bite will be full bore. Still trying to figure the middle ground.

#13 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 11:08 PM

Most of my fishing is done in saltwater, and for that I rarely have anything over 25 flies with me, most of them subsurface baitfish imitations. When chasing pickerel, largemouth, and most other warmwater species, I stick to the same approximate number of flies. For trout fishing, I would estimate the number of flies somewhere near 100.

I find that I rarely change flies when fishing in saltwater or warmwater, it's those blasted trout that keep me guessing!!! happy.gif
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#14 flyman

flyman

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:31 AM

Trout-200-300
Saltwater-25-50
Bass & panfish-25-50

It's not that I carry that many patterns, I just have several of each pattern. Plus, when I'm trout fishing I often try to imitate the specific stage of an insect. When your are trying to imiatate the nymph, emerger, dun or larva, pupa, and adult of some species, it doesn't take many for the flies to add up.
Every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet!

#15 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:06 AM

I didnt get to vote on this one.. but if I did, would have been 50-70 depending where I'm going.. cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.