Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Homemde eyes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fry Flier

Fry Flier

Beginners Permit Required

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

Just for those of you that want to but are not sure how to make your own eyes, here is my method that may help you or give you something to laugh at.

1) Start with a pc. of mono or like mine fluorocarbon 30 # about 3/4 of an inch long

IPB Image

2) Center on pliers and Melt from the Top- Down

IPB Image

3) Rotate Pliers and do again

IPB Image

4) stand back and look at your work.

IPB Image

Hint
When you melt the eyes and you get the fluorocarbon back to the pliers a quick second burn causing just a momentary smoke will amber the eyes from clear.
"A Promise made is a debt unpaid"
........ Robert Service
. Jan. 16, 1874 - Sept. 11, 1958

#2 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

Great tip, I've used this a number of times...quick, cheap, and easy. Adds eyes without the weight of metal!
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

#3 Redleg

Redleg

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

I can vouch for it too. Especially when you don't want to add weight. I use to tie a mean hex with that technique.
The number you have dialed, 9-1-1 has been changed.... to an unlisted number.

#4 longears

longears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

I use this method (somewhat) too. I used a cheapo pair of tweezers and filed 3 grooves in the tips on the inside and 3 corresponding grooves on the outside. I use the tea candles for a flame because I usually sit down and make several hundred at a time. Anothoer tip is usgo to your tackle shop and get all of the line that they stripped off of peoples reels. ( They give it away... )You can get lots of different colors and line thickness' which in turn make different sized eyes. I use 12# Maxima for my mayfly nymph eyes in Tan.
www.tyingsupplies.com

#5 Big Todd

Big Todd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

Once again the new guy learns from the masters. Thanks for the tip, that's a great trick!

#6 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Great photos and description.

I'd always heard about "burnt mono eyes" and wondered what that was about... how it was done.

Thank you much!
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#7 bugcam

bugcam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(madkasel @ Sep 1 2006, 09:00 AM) View Post

... I'd always heard about "burnt mono eyes" and wondered what that was about... how it was done.

Thank you much!

Ditto that, Madkasel!

Thanks for the step-by-step, Fry Flyer. I had NO idea! I'm going to save this tip, for sure.

#8 flyfishingwright

flyfishingwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

Great tip. headbang.gif

#9 billb

billb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

I've had difficulty (probably due to lack of practice) with burnt mono eyes that drooped off-center, didn't reach the diameter I wanted (relatively large, for crab patterns), and didn't darken much. To solve these problems, I melt them a little, dip them in 5-minute epoxy, and color them with a black Sharpie.

Bill
BEHOLD THE FISHERMAN
He riseth up Early in the Morning And Disturbeth the whole Household.
Mighty Are His Preparations.
He goeth forth full of Hope, and when the Day is Far Spent He returneth,
Smelling of Strong Drink and the Truth is not in Him.

#10 Steve P

Steve P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

I just use heavier line for bigger eyes and dip them in finger nail polish for color then a little hard head to protect the polish. Trust me this will work wonders if you give it a try you can make more colors of eyes especially in crab eyes as some real crabs have a red tint to their eyes or in my case crawfish have redish eyes in some places.
Why fish for a nasty stinky fish like a trout when you can have real fun and catch a beautiful magnificent creature like a carp.

Check out my YOUTUBE channel for warm water flies and flyfishing how to.

#11 Fly Tyer Guy

Fly Tyer Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

I use vinyl rib, Tie Two Knots in it about 2-3 milimeters apart, Then dip them in 5 minute epoxy

Fly Tyer Guy

Visit my website, My Webpage, A work in progress

Dustin Driscoll

#12 Szczure_x_fly

Szczure_x_fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:10 PM

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#13 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:33 PM

I use this method often, then you can just color the eyes with a sharpie, and your done!!! Thanks for sharing this one with us!!!!

Dustin.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#14 flyfishingwright

flyfishingwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Szczure_x_fly,
Very nice. I like that a lot.
Steve

#15 Faster Fish

Faster Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:27 PM

I want to use Szczure_x_fly method for tieing some extended body dragonflies. All I need is some porcupine quills.

Randy