Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swampfoxforeman

Lenses for fly fishing

I’m considering changing the lenses on a pair of my Costas for fly fishing, but not sure which one. I have 2 Costa Fantails with 580G green mirror lenses. I was thinking of changing one out to their Copper silver mirror or sunset silver mirror. Anyone have experience with these, and which ones would be better for fly fishing?

You don't think the mirror reflection will spook the fish?

I have always preferred a light-medium amber/brown for the added/enhanced contrast.

Depends on the situation for me. If I'm trout fishing under a canopy then amber, the lighter the better. Since I don't do much cold water fishing I just own a pair of cheapos in light amber/yellow. On the flats or out from under the trees it's going to be copper or brown, I usually only have one or the other but copper on overcast days and brown on bright days if i have the choice. I have been told that grey w/mirror is better for blue water but I have no experience with that. As others have said stay away from mirrored lenses though I doubt most fish will notice but I did an informal comparison many years ago and the mirroring just darkened the lenses a bit more potentially making it harder to spot fish.

Swamp

Only reason I ever wear goggles fishing is to cut glare on the water and under a canopy there's not much glare, so any kind of eye cover is a vision hindrance; having said that, the polarization that cuts glare can allow me to see the bottom better in some conditions and not in others, in the conditions where it helps, the gray just darkens every thing to the point that the contrast is lost while the amber/brown (my optician said they are the same?) seems to enhance the contrast. Most of the time my Rx shades/blinders stay in the car. I know nothing about fashion tho so.. YMMV.

I use Cocoons. I have three pairs. Yellow, Amber and Gray. I blacked out the spaces on the sides on all three, to me it cuts down the side glare. I probably use the Amber the most. The grays I use on really bright days. The yellow on really dark days and in the evening.

Well on my next paycheck I’m sending my new Costas in to have the mirror sunrise 580G put in. I may keep the 580G green mirror lenses or sell them. I already have some 580P copper lenses that are new I’m thinking of selling.

Well on my next paycheck I’m sending my new Costas in to have the mirror sunrise 580G put in. I may keep the 580G green mirror lenses or sell them. I already have some 580P copper lenses that are new I’m thinking of selling.

What do they run you for that? I have a spare pair with scratched up lenses and I like the contrast of the Sunrise on costa's website.