Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Need to run a swap as part of healing process...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Nice tie there, mikemac, I like it... BTW I tried looking up "cherry pie hopper" having not heard of that pattern, and apparently there's an ipa beer by that name infused with cherries & granadine... Just sayin
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#32 mikemac1

mikemac1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

Nice tie there, mikemac, I like it... BTW I tried looking up "cherry pie hopper" having not heard of that pattern, and apparently there's an ipa beer by that name infused with cherries & granadine... Just sayin

https://www.jsflyfis...-as-cherry-pie/

#33 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Nick my flies are packaged up and my wife will mail them tomorrow from work. Thanks for hosting!

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#34 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,505 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

i would recommend searching for hatch books concerning your area

these books will give you the insect and a corresponding fly pattern to match it

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=757

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#35 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

First of the flies are in the house. Hoppers in from Rick Ziegler, Mikemac1, and a really nice soft hackle from Professori. Prof, that Guinea hackle really looks good. Never used it but definitely will see if any of the Guinea feathers I have loose will work for Northern Spiders.

Right now in our area the hoppers are out in ridiculous numbers. Should be a first choice if I ever get to one of the local lakes. Almost makes me wonder if the loss of birds they talk about could be allowing the hoppers to propagate beyond normal limits. I know a lot of birds eat them but right they're doing all the eating and ruined my wife's flower bed and can't walk through any grass without a continuous flare up of the mutant hoppers we have here.

#36 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:35 PM

Flies will go in the snail mail tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

• 1DDBC192-9D9B-4D6B-B628-47626005F527.jpeg

#37 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Nice little bugs, Woodenlegs!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#38 Johnw1986

Johnw1986

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Took mine to the post office today

#39 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

If you guys don't mind a second set of hoppers in the mix, that's what I had planned to tie.

edit: foam, deer hair wing, and bug legs from FTD. 

#40 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

Bryon, your great looking streamers are in the house. Dogface, when hoppers are on the menu they get chewed up pretty good. Never hurts to have a little extra variety in the box.

#41 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

Bryon, your great looking streamers are in the house. Dogface, when hoppers are on the menu they get chewed up pretty good. Never hurts to have a little extra variety in the box.

Tying up 12 tan foam hoppers with deer hair wings from a buck I harvested last year. They'll be in the mail Monday.

#42 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

Nice little bugs, Woodenlegs!

#43 Woodenlegs

Woodenlegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Thanks
Mike

#44 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,853 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

Two more arrivals. We're halfway there. Johnw1986 sent a cool little "banana spider". Woodenlegs shared a cool cross (or seems to me) between a nymph and a soft hackle that I just know he has caught a lot of fish on on his local rivers (tailwaters).

#45 dogfacedoc

dogfacedoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

Vic my package went out monday, have you gotten it?