Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Quick Tie - No Herl Griffiths Gnat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Here is a simple tie for an already simple pattern... it's a Griffith's Gnat less the Peacock Herl. Mainly use this one as a trailing fly to a tandem rigged lead streamer like a Wooley Bugger or Near Deere.

It's fished wet but can be fished dry as well. Tends to do well when "bugs" are emerging have hatched but seem to have not made the final push to fly off... instead they sink and become food for hungry trout!

Recipe:
Size 14-18 dry fly hook
Black Dacron Tying Thread
Grizzly Hackle - long... at least 2" or more in length

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

1eiR.gif

ive used dubbed bodies for griffiths gnat variations

very successful on the green river in utah

We do it all the time! Get over it!

#3 fshng84

fshng84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Cool!  Good to know other variants work... will have to try dubbing, too!

#4 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:10 PM

Personally I think the iridescent is half the appeal in the gnat. When I don't want use herl I have found a body of UV tinsel can be very effective. Especially in smaller sixes and when fish seem preoccupied on small caenis. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#5 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Just the herl without the hackle catches fish. But, I have tied 'wooly worms' (I called them) just as illustrated.