Fly Tying
Kudu

Pettijean tools

I have the long scissors and find them very nice. I'm interested in the magic clip. Anyone have one? Like it? What about his other tools? I know there is expense involved but I don't mind paying for items that are of good quality and function within reason of course.

Have the Magic Tool, and use it occasionally. Could accomplish the same tasks with bulldog clips and a block of foam, but got the set for cheap on closeout. Would not pay retail for them. Tend to think of Petijean tools as well made but overpriced. YMMV.

I have the MP magic tool kit & love it, perfect for putting marabou in a dubbing loop! Also bought the jumbo magic tool for big stuff! I'm very happy with the small scissors that i own, just haven't found the large ones at a price i want to pay! I have the cdc pliers & like them, but they hold 2 stems much better then 1! I've looked at the bobbin holder but am not interested! Like my 2x standard c&f & 2x normal Tiemco better! Also happy with my MP swiss master vise, but using the jaws took some getting use to!

I have the MP magic tool kit & love it, perfect for putting marabou in a dubbing loop! Also bought the jumbo magic tool for big stuff! I'm very happy with the small scissors that i own, just haven't found the large ones at a price i want to pay! I have the cdc pliers & like them, but they hold 2 stems much better then 1! I've looked at the bobbin holder but am not interested! Like my 2x standard c&f & 2x normal Tiemco better! Also happy with my MP swiss master vise, but using the jaws took some getting use to!

Adam

I've been waiting for a full review of your MP Swiss master from you. I figured one would need some time on the vice before giving an honest review.

Yeh, bit more time, work got in the way this week, next week too! Jaws were weird at first, haven't had time to ty tubes yet & now that i'm tying a bit lower & the fly is a bit closer, my back is a bit sore! Have to play around a bit, even think maybe i need to raise my chair a bit?

It would seem that vise could be adjusted to any position you have a desire for. I guess it will be a matter of what sweet spot works for you best.

I have the Magic Tool Regular & Magnum, and the Magic Tool Stacker.

Very well made, very expensive.

The table clips work but in some ways, a block of foam with slit & a credit card works better for folding some feathers.

The venerable bulldog clip works too, but one cannot see the material through the jaws and the jaws don't hold material as well as the Magic Tool clips.

I choked on the Tool Stacker cost but am glad I got it, as it's pretty handy.

All in all, if you've the money, go for it.

I have 2 set of both the Magic Tool in the regular and the Magnum as well as a set of the Mini.
I got both sets of the regular Magic Tool for $15/each. They were clearing them out at Gander Mountain at the time.
I also have the long scissors and well as the dubbing twister and hackle pliers.
The hackle pliers don't work for me so well.
I also have the stacker but have found that a small utility blade holder works just as well to bunch the fibers.
Many of my flies are based on the use of the Magic tool. I use it to tie the CD Callibaetis, Hula Damsel and even the latex Scud.
I now also use it to tie my complex bugger.
Bulldog clips work just fine but I need to see how the fibers are laying under the jaws.
I don't use the tables very much with the Magic Tool and I have sanded down the thickness of the table so that I don't have as much material sticking out to the clip
when I transfer it from the table to the clip.
At the time I was working with Shane Stalcup and he was really into CDC. The Magic Tool helped me with tie the kind of flies I wanted to tie.
Is it worth the money at full retail, yes.

Kimo

Kimo,

Really enjoyed the video on your composite loops technique and tools.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

FK

Happy Magic Tool owner, after previously using bulldog and binder clips. I feel like the Magic Tool clamps are easier to work with than other options from Staples, but that's my opinion. No complaints from me, and I'm not the type to hide them if I have them.