Fly Tying
vb1971

Extension Tubes

Hi There,

Does anybody use macro extension tubes on their DSLRs for photographing flies?. I don't really want to spend the money on a macro lens just yet as most of my photography is either portraiture or landscapes.

If so what lens/tube combinations do you use and do you prefer using them on prime lenses?

I look forward to your feedback

Cheers

VB1971

Yes I've used them on a 50 1.4. They work well. You can also get a reversing ring and put a short prime such as the 50 reversed on the front of another lens for some real tight stuff!

I shoot canon and have used a 12mm extension tube on a 50 1.8 lens with great results.A 35mm lens would probably be excellent but i have never had one to try.If you get the cheap extension tubes they don't have the contacts in them to let the camera communicate with the lens so you will lose all the auto settings but still can get great photo's.Just set camera to aperture or priority and manual focus.A prime lens works better for me.

I have used my 70-200L 2.8 with an extension tube and got super close ups of insects but i had to focus stack the images to get it all in focus.The depth of field was terrible.

If you have a good zoom lens you can set it up and use it.Even if you have to shoot the image at 6ft away....as long as the focus is great and the light is right you can do a tight crop and get a good macro shot.

Thanks Steve,

I am planning on buying the full auto extension tubes with the contacts. Local camera store has a sale on and supplies both the Keno and the Phottix after market kits which I have read good reviews on.

I am assuming depth of field would be an issue depending on how close I can get. Assume I can adjust ISO and aperture and probably use extra light as well as remote shutter and tripod.

Cant wait to give it a go

P.S Like the idea of the zoom lens from a distance. will give that a go too

Cheers

Hi VB1971,

I was never totally pleased with the results I got from extensions tube. For not much more money you can get a used, manual focus Nikon 55mm macro lens. It's what I use for magazine articles and product photography. Listed below is one I found on eBay that looks like the one I'm using. I think I paid about $50 for mine if I remember right. Good luck and let us know what you get. Take care & ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-55mm-f3-5-Micro-Non-AI-Manual-Focus-Lens-Macro-close-up-Prime-/152292641124?hash=item2375594964:g:~RAAAOSwZVlXs6v3