Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Fishable Mole Crab/Sand Flea

Good Day,

So last November I was on Captiva Island which is off Fort Myers Florida. I was quite successful with a variety of streamers. I am planning to go back for two weeks this coming November (wedding and honeymoon!) So while walking the beach I noticed a plethera of mole crabs/sand fleas. I could clearly see a variety of game fish in the wave break where it meets the sand, you know, where there is a little shelf or drop off... The sardines were a few feet off shore, but these game fish were clearly feeding on something. Upon closer inspection, mole crabs! So I started thinking about them again the other day while involved with wedding planning. Therefore, here is the version I have come up with and I really hope the reds, snook, pompano, ladyfish and all like the fly! Oh yeah, and you guys too!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Steelie

Well you captured the look, but I don't know many fishermen down here who tie a sand flea imitation. When I'm fishing for Pompano in the first trough, I use a Gotcha bonefish fly and do very well with it. Small crab patterns work too as will a Clouser or a Schminnow bounced along the bottom, which I think is more important than the look of the fly.

Good Day,

Thanks Trout Bum! I can see your point... However, one of the things that got me thinking was I had come across a "local" gulf coast fly shop that was touting/selling a sand flea fly. Essentially, it was a scud pattern with larger eyes and longer fibers to represent the antenea. Then, while researching the molecrab/sandflea, I noticed that Berkley manufactures a scented biodegradable plastic sand flea, which of course they claim fishes better than the real thing... And being a fly tier... hahahaha, this thing sort of evolved! Well, we may have to wait till November to find out how well they work!

Steelie

Which fly shop was that? Lee Island Outfitters? I've been in there many times and they always try to sell me the new hot fly du jour. They tried to sell me some "secret" extra special tarpon fly a couple of years ago and when I described it to a fishing guide I know, he laughed so hard, he almost fell off the bar stool. I think they're more interested in selling flies to tourists, than selling flies that work.

The important thing when you're fishing the beach is moving water, either incoming or outgoing tides, and having your fly behaving like food. Saltwater fish are very aggressive and competitive, they don't have the time to inspect everything. If they hesitate, they'll lose out to another fish.

Good Day,

I think it was boonespoone.com. I wish the Lee Island site was , well, nicer...

I actually had most of my luck on the Gulf side last November as I ran into turbid water in the sound. Most of my luck was from the Mucky Duck to about where the South Seas Beach condos give way to their beach cottages. A couple hundred yards at best. For some reason, that was just the area where I found fish even though I tried over a mile in either direction.

Yeah, got to love those salt water fish... as a shop owner here, who has fished extensively in the salt, says that most slatwater fish are just so plain dumb... although it really may be the competitive nature. There is nothing quite like having a blitz of game fish explode right in front of you! This happened many times with ladyfish around sunset while I was there. After the second or third sunset it dawned on me that the blitz of ladyfish occured in nearly the same place each night preceeding... interesting... perhaps behavioral or tidal? All I know is that I would wade through hundreds of yards of baitfish. I think I heard them called green backs by a local.

Hey, Trout Bum, if you are in that area next November between Moday the 5th and Friday the 16th, perhaps we could meet up?

Steelie

check out aswf.org and look in steve farars fly tying section. here in jersey we have tons of sand carbs and these flies take almost any species that eat them. he calls it the holey moley crab