Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Arctic goat schoolies

Well, I got a day pass from the nuthouse so I drove to some saltier waters or at least brackish waters for the day. I was hoping for some early season reds or trout and wasted about 3 hours looking. Finally switched gears and tossed one of those arctic goat hair mullet flies at the jetties just off the boat launch and had some fun with schoolie stripers. They inhaled that fly! Water was really clear despite all the rain last week or so. Water temp about 62F on the lower Potomac. Still a few weeks behind normal this year. Here are a few pics of the day.

post-50086-0-78015500-1399680832_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-76106100-1399680854_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-09516800-1399680921_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-14533900-1399680950_thumb.jpg

Nice little Strippers. So my trip to PAX River next week might be a good time to try for some salt water fishing !!

Its always a good time to try the salt. Around here though I think the light tackle fishing is just starting to pick up. Most of the locals are still trolling for the big migratory striped bass (aka Rockfish) but that is just not my thing. I was only about 20 minutes from PAX so there are definitely some opportunities.. I tied up another color combo of that goat hair baitfish that I think the trout might like (if I can find them) since I have always done well on soft plastics in pink for trout.

post-50086-0-03464000-1399905151_thumb.jpg

Looks like some fun with the little bass. No puppy drum here either, but the bulls showed up about a week ago. The water's heating up really fast with the warm nights. Haven't been out fishing yet, but I've been scouting every day. So much to do, so little time.

So much to do, so little time.

Ain't that the truth. I dont know how I managed to squeeze in that little fishing trip between my Anniversary (that night), mothers day, baseball games and soccer games, not to mention everything else. But its good therapy so I try to make it happen at least once in awhile. The rest of the time, I'm thinking about fishing.

Don't worry Skimmer, it gets easier as the years go by. The kids grow up and don't want you around for any reason, and by then, you'll be lucky to remember your wife's name, let alone birthdays and anniversaries. My toughest decision these days is whether to go fishing or play poker. Life is good.

Thanks PJ, I feel better already. Times sure have changed though. When I was a kid, I just had to show up for dinner. My parents didn't have the foggiest idea where I was most of the time. These days it seems parents are carting them around constantly.

Thanks PJ, I feel better already. Times sure have changed though. When I was a kid, I just had to show up for dinner. My parents didn't have the foggiest idea where I was most of the time. These days it seems parents are carting them around constantly.

Man, ain't that the truth. As long as we didn't attract too much attention from the cops, we were free do do what we wanted. When we felt like playing baseball or football, we played - when we wanted to go swimming or camping, we went. Nothing was organized, and we wouldn't have had it any other way. I think it was a better way to develop life skills than being hovered over and organized to death. My nieces and nephews actually have schedules for everything they do. Sheesh!

How true guys. As long as my brother and I were out of the house and home when we should be my mom was fine. We had to tell here where we were going, which was the truth most of the time. But other than school, Boy Scouts and some Little League (unrecognizable from what kids do today) there were no organized activities or time.

Steve

Here is a Deceiver with arctic fox head and some Senyo dubbing in the head.

post-18342-0-37936000-1400553979_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty deceiver. Hey Jack - you finding any bass up there? They're getting some nice ones here, but unfortunately, it's the gill netters that are getting them. Wish they'd put a stop to that nonsense.

Cool looking deceiver, I like the use of arctic fox instead of buck tail.

PJ, I agree on the gill netters. We banned them here back in the 90's and the snook, trout and especially redfish populations have rebounded phenomenally. There are still some that are trying to get them reinstated or use them through loopholes but so far, thankfully, they have been unsuccessful

Andy, trouble is that the damned commercial crowd up here has ten times more influence than they deserve. They always fall back on the "gotta feed our families" bullshit, and it always works. Everybody acts surprised when the winter striper season is a complete failure two years in a row, but they keep right on killing spawners. The economic benefit of commercial fishing is a drop in the bucket compared to what a healthy recreational fishery would provide, but we're not the ones handing out the bribes. I give Florida a lot of credit for what they've accomplished.

That's a pretty deceiver. Hey Jack - you finding any bass up there? They're getting some nice ones here, but unfortunately, it's the gill netters that are getting them. Wish they'd put a stop to that nonsense.

Peter,

It's all happening offshore, some nice fish from the beach but the bigger fish are off the beach on the bunker. Bluefish action is insane! Teen size blues have been a total blast, top water action gives me a thrill....I love it.