Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
INSilverado

Newbie needs some ideas setting up work space...

Anyone have pictures of their fly tying workspace/bench? I'm going to give this fly tying stuff a shot and was wondering how everyone organizes their tools, materials, etc. Thanks in advance!

-Jameson

A while back I compiled a bunch of pictures of desks and put them together on 1 page. Take a look at it here. If you have dial up, it could take forever to load. There are a ton of desk pictures in it. Some really great ideas. Many of the desks are forum members, but not all of them.

I posted some pics of my area two months ago, see the post HERE

It's a 5'x7' corner of my basement.

I have made a few additions since I made this post, I have carpet on the floor now and have a shelf on the wall for my two rods that I also use to hang my wadders to dry.

The bench, as it were, is dresser I got from my sister who was looking to get rid of it. It's a great piece, it's from IKEA.

The biggest thing, is having a place that you can leave your stuff out.

Good Luck!

Let us know how things turn out.

Brian

:cheers:

Anyone have pictures of their fly tying workspace/bench? I'm going to give this fly tying stuff a shot and was wondering how everyone organizes their tools, materials, etc. Thanks in advance!

-Jameson

Jameson,

Unless you have already added mine and I just missed it, feel free to add the two pics of my area to your collection.

I think I took out the wrong part of what I wanted to quote!?

Brian

A while back I compiled a bunch of pictures of desks and put them together on 1 page. Take a look at it here. If you have dial up, it could take forever to load. There are a ton of desk pictures in it. Some really great ideas. Many of the desks are forum members, but not all of them.

WHOA!! You're my hero Oatka! Very cool collection!

Like your workspace too mtbbrian. Oatka will have to add that to his compilation of pics.

Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange :lol:

Jameson a little advise.

Take the amount of room you think you'll need to tie flies then double or triple it . Then you Just might have enough. I dought it but you'll be close

Here is a picture of what I started with. I built it myself and now am trying to sell it. I just didn't have enough room and when I found a new desk at an auction, I upgraded as can be seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures. Hope this helps.

arkfisher

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

These pics are about a year old...It all fit...then. :dunno:

Strange how tying materials seem to propogate when we sleep?

S.

P.S.

"Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange"

I got about half of 'em and I could guess at a couple others...lol

Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange :lol:

Steve - I can pick out yours, and a few others too..........we need help. :help:

Well, I got an idea or two. My dad gave me this here trunk or whatever you want to call it. He used it for making wood arrows, which is what I WAS going to use it for. But since I use my actual workbench for arrows, I could use this for fly tying...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Or, I could use my good old workbench and these drawers that aren't being used for anything necessary right now. Decisions, decisions...

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you have dial up, it could take forever to load.

COULD?!?!?! Oatka, I was able to mow 1 acre with a push mower while waiting for it to load.... :hyst:

I think you will find that each person on here has their own "ideal" set up. What works for me might not work for you. I would suggest figuring out exactly how mich space you have/will be allowed to have depending upon your living situation, and then try to figure out how to maximize that space.

There you go!

Looks like a great tying area in the making!

Brian

For material storage, something that's worked very well for me is file folders/containers. I have one for fur and one for feathers (but am thinking I'll need to expand).

IPB Image

I've also worked up something pretty cool with pegboard that I'll share once I get a pic.