Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KHoss

Huchen flies?

What the heck is a Huchen?

OK, I looked it up, in English, a Danube Salmon. For adults, an appropriate baitfish imitation fished at the right depth. Clousers should work. If these fish are like lake trout and walleye, though, they will stay so deep that you can't reach them with a fly.

Huchen is a close relative, european cousin, to a taimen

largest resident river salmonidae.... nothing really like lake trout and walleye

large aggressive predators...but unlike Taimen, they are a bit smaller and not keying on surface flies since you can only target them in winter

due to local regulations, aliens have to have a guide (locals have to fish in pairs).

it also appears that a "guide" is not like what we have in the US...and most (if not all are throwing gear)

not much info on fly fishing for them... esp in English

so I was looking for someone with first hand experience...

Large, aggressive predators, so large baitfish imitations. If they're not heavily fly-fished, then any kind of style should be ok, right? Tie some heavy, some unweighted, and some in-between, in a range of basic colors.

Sounds like a hell of a problem to have...

I'd go anywhere in the world (not really, I have very little desire to leave the USA again, for now...) with a range of Lefty's Deceivers and Clouser Deep Minnows, and I know I would catch fish, as long as there are fish which eat other fish.

I've told my son numerous times........when in doubt, "big fish eat little fish".

Many years ago (sounds like the usual BS....) I was asked to come up some flies for taimen by a very prominent fly fishing guy -for his customer who was making a foray across the world for that big fish. We're talking early eighties and at that point I'd never heard of them at all. When I pointed out that I had no clue what to tie I was told that no one had even caught one of them on fly that he knew of so any large fly might work. At this point I can't even remember what we came up with, but I filled the order the best way I could...

In the intervening years, though, I have had quite a bit of success equipping several anglers fishing worldwide for big fish with the same pattern, only varying the color and sizes. That pattern is the Tarpon Snake which I usually do in black, size 4/0... Here's a few pics of the variations. It's an all saddle hackle pattern with large bead chain eyes done on either an Owner Aki or a Tiemco 600sp hook and comes with a wire weedguard. To fish one properly you need a full intemediate fly line with a fairly heavy leader. This bug has taken a wide variety of fish -both offshore and inshore. It's taken giant trevally in the Seychelles, tarpon wherever it's used, etc.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-05084300-1389097571_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-70747400-1389097594_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-63062400-1389097618_thumb.jpg

thanks guys

bob- i like the tarpon snake

I will be fishing northern Slovenia

I have dozens of pike/musky/warmwater/ larger trout streamers ranging from 6-13inches (10cm is the min fly length allowed)

looking for some info on...

Flash or no flash?

Weighted fly or unweighted? jig style or body weight?

push water for a lateral line hunter or movement for visual?

constant strip or strip pause, and the need for a fly to "buck" on the pause?

Singles? doubles? triples?

I've heard red/white and all tan are good colors

the very limited info i've seen are flies have been basically zonker strips tied to a hook… looking for a bit more than that

some of the flies already in my box

C4562C0B-C98C-4E51-8FE2-9E67D7186D6E-113

_DSC9872_zpsd6fb4198.jpg

_DSC9881_zpse5046e18.jpg

_DSC9839_zps685b74be.jpg

_DSC9531_zps61af39e3.jpg

a8ea7a1b.jpg

8ac4a46a.jpg

Check www.jeffcurrier.com. I believe he mentions catching one in Slovenia or one of those countries in his blog. You may even want to shoot him an email. He makes his living flyfishing, art work, and flyfishing presentations. His blog is impressive.

Hello fellow fishers,

I have only just managed to find this forum and this is my first post. I apologise in advance for it being a cry for help rather than a positive contribution to the articles already published.

Having tried in vain to book a week on the Sava Bohinjka in Slovania - fully booked for the week I had free - I am now about to try the River Pielach in Austria (about 80km NE of Vienna) as an alternative venue.

I intend to book Slovenia earlier for the 2014/2015 Huchen Season.

I note however that Mr Hoss (?) is about to fish and I wonder if he might share his experience and, in particular give me some guidance on best flies. I intend to use either a Spey or Switch rod (#10 or #8 respectively) with a skagit and a fast-sink polyleader.

Many thanks in anticipation of some guidance.

David

Gloucester

England

welcome David, look forward to hearing from you and the Hoss

I agree with JS, if not heavily fly fished you may find they come easier on the fly than on lures they see often. Big zonker strips on a skagit will be easy to throw and I agree with Big fish eats little fish.

Hello fellow fishers,

I have only just managed to find this forum and this is my first post. I apologise in advance for it being a cry for help rather than a positive contribution to the articles already published.

Having tried in vain to book a week on the Sava Bohinjka in Slovania - fully booked for the week I had free - I am now about to try the River Pielach in Austria (about 80km NE of Vienna) as an alternative venue.

I intend to book Slovenia earlier for the 2014/2015 Huchen Season.

I note however that Mr Hoss (?) is about to fish and I wonder if he might share his experience and, in particular give me some guidance on best flies. I intend to use either a Spey or Switch rod (#10 or #8 respectively) with a skagit and a fast-sink polyleader.

Many thanks in anticipation of some guidance.

David

Gloucester

England

I'm fishing Sava Bohinjka next week

Here are some more flies i'll be taking all ties on 8/0s

David

I would think Skagit would be a poor choice since you are targeting specific areas and sight fishing... not swinging through a run

(but i am all bias against OH casting and stripping 2handers)

I'll have 8wt and 10wt... each with Float, Int, and sink Rio Outbound lines

_DSC2800_zps3f7a4794.jpg

Hello again and thanks for this response.

Are you by any chance fishing with Emil Pintar on Sava Bohinka? I tried to book with him but he was unavailable for the time I wanted to go.

The flies are very much as I expected them to be.

Being a 70 year old lazy Scot, whilst I don't care much for OH (I presume you mean over-head here (?)) casting and stripping lures either, the skagit sure as hell helps to counteract the worn bones and what used to be muscle :-D. I've found them to be particularly useful in Tierra del Fuego, Alaska, BC and indeed at home in Scotland. I was hoping very much to be able to make more use of the Switch Rod (SageOne) than the Spey but the conditions, the River and the targeting requirements will determine that for me. Incidentally I also have all of the prerequisite Rio polys.

I go to Vienna on 13 February and can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it. I've had Huchen on the bucket list for a while now and seeing will be almost as good as catching one.

Good luck and tight lines next week - please let me know how it goes.

Thanks again,

David

Huchen -- local term Mladica (Mladitsa) -- are present in many areas in the old Yugoslavia's Danube and Sava River feeder streams. The Una has them, as do many others. Slovenia's streams however are closer to Europe, cleaner, and more rigidly managed than they are further south. And the civil war there was brief so you will miss signs that warn of mines there.

The system of licensing and guiding differs from region to region. The basic pattern though is that rivers and even sections of larger rivers have fishing clubs that issue licenses and control fishing in their area . There is no state or national license. And regs differ area by area. In essence you can inadvertently invade another club's domain and violate its regs too w/o a guide.

The clubs have river-keepers/wardens -- (chuvar) -- who can issue licenses on the spot and fine you for infractions. The "guides" often are chuvars but not in the sense of US professional guides. I have known chuvar to violate regs on a regular basis and allow poaching by friends and family too w/o licenses. In essence they protect their waters for their use.

My main fishing experience has been in the south in Bosnia, Serbia, and the western margins of Croatia. And that was 30 years ago. Then, it was common for small villages to build concrete ramps over streams so that oil changes could be done there! And you had to go way upstream to escape the throw away plastic shopping bags festooned in the trees during floods.

Check out flyfishingrussia's blog and his new book on his experiences and fly patterns used in Siberia for taimen. He has many innovative ideas on flies for trout and salmon too.

Rocco

Hello again and thanks for this response.

Are you by any chance fishing with Emil Pintar on Sava Bohinka? I tried to book with him but he was unavailable for the time I wanted to go.

The flies are very much as I expected them to be.

Being a 70 year old lazy Scot, whilst I don't care much for OH (I presume you mean over-head here (?)) casting and stripping lures either, the skagit sure as hell helps to counteract the worn bones and what used to be muscle :-D. I've found them to be particularly useful in Tierra del Fuego, Alaska, BC and indeed at home in Scotland. I was hoping very much to be able to make more use of the Switch Rod (SageOne) than the Spey but the conditions, the River and the targeting requirements will determine that for me. Incidentally I also have all of the prerequisite Rio polys.

I go to Vienna on 13 February and can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it. I've had Huchen on the bucket list for a while now and seeing will be almost as good as catching one.

Good luck and tight lines next week - please let me know how it goes.

Thanks again,

David

Hi David

I am fishing and staying with Emil Pintar

If you are stuck on the Skagit approach... I'd suggest swaping out the polly leaders for some 10' sections of T14

the poly leaders are density compensated with a taper that may hinder your attempts at turning over large flies

the level sections of the T-material will have the mass to turn over the big flies

an intermediate skagit head may also be something to consider.... the Rio iskagit has a floating rear section with INT up front... that paired with the right tip should help keep flies down

(just my opinion)

Good luck to you as well... hopefully we both end up touching a trophy!