Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sbr

Fly Box for 20's and Smaller

What boxes do you guys use for size 20 and smaller flies? I am starting to tie a lot of small stuff for this winter and it seems difficult to store 26, 24, 22's in slit foam style boxes. I was thinking of using a magnetic compartment style boxes for these little guys. I wanted to see if anyone has a tiny midge box they like?

I prefer a solid foam ripple. Find it easy to fit them in and out. Magnet seemed too strong and it was more of a pain getting them out the little compartments.

I'm with Piker. Foam boxes with ripples for my <18 dries. My small nymphs go in a compartment box.

I'm also with Piker. I have the knock-off Wheatley box from Orvis.
I have a couple of the smallest ones.

73Y1G_lg.jpg

Kimo

I have one of the Chinese C&F Knock offs that has compartments in one side. It is great for the small flies in the compartments. Also its waterproof, that's both a good and a bad thing. Good in that it floats. Bad in that it is waterproof from the inside as well, so if you get water in it you can loose all your hooks to rust. You just have to remember to open it when you get home.

Some English hackle pliers, the ones with long jaws are very handy to have, best of all on a pin on retractor. They are great for picking up small flies and holding them while you thread them.

Another idea is to just stick the flies into the back of the foam ribs in your slotted foam box. I'd only recommend this with barbless hooks.

Also there is the option of the C&F Threadder boxes. The problem is that the threadders do not work for flies smaller than size 18. To use them you have to be able to get the threadder and a double length of mono through the eye. With an appropriate tippet for a small fly that is like trying to get 4 thickness's of your tippet through the eye. It's quite embarrassing when you go to tie on a new fly and find that it will not come off the threadder. You can guarantee when it happens someone will be looking over your shoulder to see what you are tying on.

Cheers,

C.

I fish mostly tailwaters, so I fish a lot of midges. I have tried several boxes for my midges including the magnetic boxes some people have referred to. The magnetic boxes will work fine but limit you to just a few patterns if you want to keep individual patterns separated. The box I use now is the best option I have found so far, it is made by C&F design. The slit foam in the lid is designed to hold midges and works very well, and the three compartments allow you to keep the patterns you use the most in larger quantities ready to go. The box incorporates two threader slots to leave midges on the threaders ready to be tied on. The box is a bit pricey, but if you fish midges a lot you will definitely enjoy all the features this box provides. The only improvement that could be made is if C&F would incorporate this layout into one of the waterproof boxes.

http://www.candfdesign.com/product/602733/CF-203/_/Small_7-Row_Fly_Box_with_Ultra_Midge_Size_Threaders

I really like those C&F boxes but they are SO expensive I can't bring my self to get one yet....I am sure I will eventually, but they are hard to find. A few fly shops have told me they don't like carrying CF stuff because it's hard to get from Japan. I did buy a pack of the CF threaders and those things are GREAT

I fish mostly tailwaters, so I fish a lot of midges. I have tried several boxes for my midges including the magnetic boxes some people have referred to. The magnetic boxes will work fine but limit you to just a few patterns if you want to keep individual patterns separated. The box I use now is the best option I have found so far, it is made by C&F design. The slit foam in the lid is designed to hold midges and works very well, and the three compartments allow you to keep the patterns you use the most in larger quantities ready to go. The box incorporates two threader slots to leave midges on the threaders ready to be tied on. The box is a bit pricey, but if you fish midges a lot you will definitely enjoy all the features this box provides. The only improvement that could be made is if C&F would incorporate this layout into one of the waterproof boxes.

http://www.candfdesign.com/product/602733/CF-203/_/Small_7-Row_Fly_Box_with_Ultra_Midge_Size_Threaders

Hi, How small flies can the micro slits in the foam on the lid of this box hold?