Fly Tying

Interested in trying this technique although it is new to me. I've looked at many different lines and I am looking to find a good full sinking line. My target depth is going to be roughly 15-25 feet deep at most. I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this and could offer any help. I've looked at SA Sonar, Airflo sixth sense sinking, Orvis Depth Charge, and Rio mainstream Type 6 or 7. I will be using a 9wt and majority of the use will likely be in saltwater. One of the biggest unknowns to me is whether or not I want a "uniform" sink line where the whole line sinks at the same rate or if I want something such as the SA Sonar Sink 3/5/7. I understanding the casting may be very different but my intended use is more important to stay on the bottom than casting it far.

Thanks for any help

You will need to cast at least twice the water's depth for even a short time on the bottom. Think of the geometry angles and your line as the hypotenuse. Three times the water's depth or more for effective bottom fishing, imo. I used a full sinking line in lakes and found it strenuous fishing, almost all of the line has to be retrieved before pickup and then all worked back out for each cast. Back then WetCel II was (about 2" per second iirc) the get deep line, I have no idea what is state of the art now.

In water 5-6' deep I found a sink tip more to my liking as it could better be picked up for recast.

As time went by and I evolved I abandoned sinking fly lines, jigs or what I think is now called a drop shot will suck a fly down much faster and longer leader on floating line works for me. To get really deep I might try a lead core line.

20+ years ago I needed to come up with some way to fish road beds and points 15-25 deep in the dog

days of summer in Texas at Lake Fork.

What I did was get 20-30 of type 6 sinking line and attached it to Amnesia . It cast like crap but I could toss it a long ways and who cares how it cast fishing that deep.

Weighted flies with dumbell eyes on 4 of 20lb test. It worked.

Adjust the length and sink type/rate and you can come up with anything you want for suspended fish.

Very like I was thinking of with the short piece of trolling line and mono, Mike. I did this but can't recall all the details, but in essence a sinking head.

I know this isn't what you want ... but I still can't understand the "need" to use a fly rod, even if it's not the best method.

I love fly fishing. It's how I spend 99% of my time on the water. My local waters aren't generally deeper than 10 feet. But I do have some outside bends in the river that drop to 30. That's when I'll pick up a baitcaster and drop a weighted worm, or pull a 20+ crank bait through there. It's just a more appropriate method for reaching those depths.

I also fish areas that are densely weeded. I try the 8 weight in there ... but if I don't get a top water hit on it ... I'm going back to the worm.

No need for an answer to this ... I just can't get my mind around it. Had to get the thought off my chest.

have you looked at the rio out bound short? it's a 30 ft shifting head style line I use one when fishing lakes casts well.

I use outbound short in an intermediate sink. It's casts like a spinning rod with one false cast you can shoot it out pretty dang far. I use it down to about ten feet and it don't really feel like fly fishing to me. If your fishing lots of current like in the salt water a sinking line really really blows. I'm with mike, any deeper and I just grab a spinning rod.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Mike, no worries at all. I expected to hear that at some point. I know its not the traditional thought behind fly fishing but mainly just wanting to catch a bull red on fly. I can consistently catch them with a spinning rod and bait or artificials in a couple spots but want to try it with a fly rod by drifting with the current and dragging a fly by them.

I have an Orvis Depth Charge on my 6 wgt. I used it a lot up in Ontario when fishing for smallmouth and pike. I normally cast and retrieve with it. A couple of times I've used while anchored or drifting in 20-25 feet of water. Anchored it's not much different than jigging with a spinning rod. Drifting, it depended on the speed of the drift and I always used a suspending fly. I think I've caught four walleyes and a couple of smallmouth doing that over a 20 year period. Same in salt water, if you're wade fishing or fishing off a jetty or rock pile. As Poopdeck pointed out the speed of the tide impacts how far you'll be able to get your fly down whether you're fishing from land or a boat. If you're fishing from a boat your best chance would be the two hours before or after the top or bottom of the tide. I've caught two sea bass bottom bouncing with a fly. Still waiting for my first flounder.