Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Bait fish

What would some of you say is your most common bait fish where you hang out? I see a lot of Fall Fish. Emerald Shinners, Fathead Minnows ect.

Kevin

For where I fish mostly it is fathead minnows, but there seem to always be a bunch of less then 3" sunfish around too but I don't know if you count these.

Shad, crappie, sunfish, that's about the extent of the baitfish we have here.... some lakes have fatheads that have been dumped from minnow buckets.

Steve

We get alot of emerald shiners and golden shiners with creek chubs in most waters I fish. In the trout lakes and streams there's alot of northern red belly dace and smelt (though you can't see them, they do show up on the sonar).

What would some of you say is your most common bait fish where you hang out? I see a lot of Fall Fish. Emerald Shinners, Fathead Minnows ect.

Kevin

Kevin, those WV fall fish drive me NUTS when I am trout fishing! It never fails, when I think I have a nice wild trout, it ebds up being a 13" fall fish! :wallbash:

In the lakes near me, it is mostly threadfin shad and panfish/perch as a forage base for the bass. Lots of frogs, too.

pinfish, finger mullet, greenbacks, mojarra, glass minnows, shrimp, and crabs are all abundant in various areas that I fish

Kool topic! I used to love going down to the water with a net as a kid and collecting minnows. Up here there are quite a few, some much more prolific than others. A couple from an area i fish include...

Brassy Minnow, Common Shiner, Pearl Dace, Lake Chub, Roseyface Shiner (quite a few species of Shiner), Redbelly Dace (kinda cute), Fathead Minnow, Bluntnose Minnow, Blacknose Dace, Creek Chubs, Central Mudminnow, Stickleback, Lots of Sculpins, Darters. More imported types from bait buckets too.

We have a lot of sculpins, white suckers and tiger suckers also. I see alot of small bait fish that like to nip at my wifes legs when we wet wade but I still have not found out what they are. One thing I would like to do is collect bugs to ID but don't know what water sulution to keep them in.

Kevin

You can use alcohol 72% or whatever it is.... problem with that or formaldehyde is that they both will bleach out the bug and you cannot see the color after a couple or three days. There is a solution we used to use in high school that didn't bleach them out too bad but still bleached them a little. Ummmmm may run down the hill from here to the entomology forum and see what the guys there have to say... they may know what you need to use.

Steve

A lot of folks use high strength vodka or everclear. I don't believe the ethyl alcohol bleaches like the isopropyl alcohol. When I trapped I used vodka to preserve the glands of critters to make baits and lures.

Kevin

i would have to say it would be black nose dace's and smelts here in maine

Kevin

i would have to say it would be black nose dace's and smelts here in maine

We have a ton of Black Nose Dace here.

Kevin