Fly Tying
yooperflyfisher

Is it worth it

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if its worth it to you, then its worth it

keep it in folders on your computers hard drive

i keep a lot of fly photos and recipes on my computer

i dont do step by steps. too tedious

An editor I once worked for taught me, a book is an idea fully expressed. I like the page. What's your idea?

An editor I once worked for taught me, a book is an idea fully expressed. I like the page. What's your idea?

My idea is to make a Nymph fly tying book with all step by steps there’s not to many like that out there most I’ve seen just tell you the recipe.

Which nymphs? Would you pick nymphs that used different techniques? Which techniques?

A book for what? For your own reference? To sell? To post on the internet? A class project? Depending on why I could vote both ways.

To market it, no

Just for the heck of it, no

To keep you occupied, maybe

To learn or practice a skill like English and fly tying, yes

Worth can only be expressed as it applies to alternative options.

So, if it provides enjoyment to produce it may be "worth it" to you.

If it provides information or usefulness to someone else it may be "worth it" to them.

But to other people it will be worth what they have to sacrifice to get it. A hamburger, a whole Happy Meal, a steak? That will depend.

I think a book that shows SBS patterns for nymphs to tie with limited materials could be very worthwhile. Maybe start the book with your materials list, end your book with the fly box of nymphs you create with those materials (maybe with a few pics of fish caught with them), and in the middle show how you get there.

Something about the function and history of each fly is also nice, I think

I voted no, only in the view that you want to make money from the effort. That is unlikely.

I didn't click on flytire's link, but it's probably got some references to information availability on the internet.

For many of us, why buy a book when the video and SBS is online somewhere? And why look at ONE person information in a book, when you can find dozens (or hundreds) of viewpoints online.

As has been stated above ... if you're getting some enjoyment and satisfaction from assembling the book, then go for it. When you're up to 100 different flies, or more, then approach a publisher with your collection.

Maybe, by then, you'll also have some kind of reputation that will entice others interest in a book from you.

For your own use, it might be worth it. For years before I had a computer, I cut out fly patterns with tying instructions from various magazines and put them in three ring books. I have at least three books full of patterns broken down into trout, warm water and salt water. I can't remember the last time I looked at them. These days if I see a pattern I just check it out on the web.

I like chugbug's comments and flytire's link, but my vote on your question remains "yes,no, no, maybe" for some of the reasons above and perhaps some others.

The key here is that what it might be worth to me and what it might be worth to you and what it might be worth to others are different and unrelated values. Stick to your idea of the worth of it, both as a project and as a possible aide to your self in the future or to others a learning guide, whether sold or given, whether published in paper or on the 'net. Your concept of value should matter most to you, you don't even know me.

Comments to your project; Every photo should have a solid color contrasting background, I think the best fly photos I've seen had blue back plate.

The reason many patterns are presented as material data only is that all flies of a type follow a standard assembly route that is learned early on. Thread to hook, or lead wire to hook or dubbing to thread to hook are best learned as techniques that can the be used on every fly pattern that uses that material. Books have been written and published that teach techniques with little reference to pattern, one that I own is "The Essential Fly Tier' by J Edson Leonard. I think another is (although I haven't seen this one, so may be wrong) "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" by Ted Leeson and, Jim Schollmeyer.

There really is not much reason in my opinion to include such basic techniques for each pattern unless a new or peculiar technique is used or introduced.

Good luck.

> like Philly, I have binders full of magazine and catalog cut outs from the '70s and '80s that I haven't looked at in a while, but I still reference my books for some things.

My idea is to make a Nymph fly tying book with all step by steps there’s not to many like that out there most I’ve seen just tell you the recipe.

the real question is will this book be for your tying purposes or for publishing purposes?

i have a lot of books that contain step by step photos of tying flies. i'm not sure you looked at a lot of books

the order in which a fly recipe is written is the step by step directions to tie the fly

hook

thread

tail

ribbing

body

wing case

etc

will one more book on tying flies hurt, i doubt it but with the great big goole machine to find fly patterns you havent even thought of......

the real question is will this book be for your tying purposes or for publishing purposes?

i have a lot of books that contain step by step photos of tying flies. i'm not sure you looked at a lot of books

the order in which a fly recipe is written is the step by step directions to tie the fly

hook

thread

tail

ribbing

body

wing case

etc

will one more book on tying flies hurt, i doubt it but with the great big goole machine to find fly patterns you havent even thought of......

Ya eh I’ll just keep it for myself I’m thinking and maybe print some off and staple the pages together and give to friends I wouldn’t bother publishing it though maybe someday I well.