Fly Tying
DaddyD0302

"Fly" identification

First of all, I am not sure if I am to post this sort of thing on this board. If not, my apologies.

A little back story. I took a guy from work on a fishing trip at a local park for trout. He had never been trout fishing before and the only experience fly fishing was a trip to Michigan for Salmon.

He was getting stumped and tried every "trout fly" he had purchased and was about to give up. He had an epiphany I guess and tied on a "fly" he picked up while on his salmon trip.

And wouldn't you know it, with two casts, stripping it back through slack water, he caught two fish. One was a 14" rainbow and the other was a 18" 2 lb. 6oz. Rainbow. After catching his second fish, the fly was pretty well fu-barred and unusable.

I am not a salmon angler by any means and the whole lure selection is foreign to me. The photos are of the fly in poor condition. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated in identifying this fly. Evidentially, the big trout like this pattern and I would like to re-create it

post-63725-0-29602200-1539657682_thumb.jpg

post-63725-0-16810500-1539657699_thumb.jpg

i do not have a name for the fly looks but it looks like a small stonefly or caddis imitation

what is the red part you are holding?

hold the fly by the hook and take another photo

You guys are awesome. Thank you. I attempted to re-create this jig from the photos provided and came up with something like this....

Thanks again for the help!

post-63725-0-83245400-1539726927_thumb.jpg

post-63725-0-25037800-1539726954_thumb.jpg