Fly Tying

Giant poppers...

Work in progress[omg]

7/0 hooks gonna need Ifsteve's 14 wt to cast'em....

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

Retirement's tough and exasperating tryin to connect with big boy...

IMG_2271.jpg

There might be a better way... Most that I know quit making giant poppers - instead they make giant popper heads with a hole in them so that you can slide a bite tippet through them - then tie on your choice of great big fly (like the flies you're showing in your third photo) and simply pull the sliding popper head down onto the hook eye. The first guys to go this route were blue water anglers looking for giant poppers for sails and other bill fish. If you offset the hole through the head you can get the same effect you'd get with the popper heads you've already glued up (so that the head rides up above the center line of the following hook shank on the "giant fly"...

I believe you can actually buy the heads from folks that cater to bluewater fly anglers - and even buy the entire ready made gear leader and all from the same folks. The hidden benefit of this kind of rig is that the sliding popper head actually puts your hook a lot farther behind the head than you do when going the traditional route...

Hope this helps

Great advice. Mostly fooling around. Made some before couldn't cast them so they ended up in a shadow box as novelty. I have a dream of doing little offshore stuff so had some utility corks couple hooks, raining outside, yada, yada....took me about an hour to do that much. My middle name is "budget/ improvise". Gotta keep gluing some more then slap some paint, tails, other jazz. The Krazglue is great for sealing faults and cracks not worrying about super finish need strong connection. Your technique solves gluing to big hooks. Might get some pop corks and modify....thanks for ideas!

denduke, check out Bob's Banger for some ideas. The pattern uses large foam cylinders rather than cork. Works just like Capt Bob described. I've made some small ones and have picked up some bluefish on them and bass in fresh water.

denduke. Bob's Banger at it's finest. They also resemble some of the off-shore trolling lures I've used. I like the idea of the plastic tube inserts with the tail material tied on them. Tube flies taken to the next level. What did you use to wrap the cork bodies? When I did my foam ones, I used holographic prism tape to wrap the bodies.

heavynets, 3d printer? that blows my mind (which is usually easy)..what kind of plastic, is like a foam or styrene like.. you can make any kind of fishing plug? that is cool, tomorrow is today. you show the one with rubber legs, did you use a needle, indicating it,s a soft plastic?