Fly Tying
eisik

Fly fishing at Þingvellir national park , Iceland

Hi!

Made this video after yesterdays fishing. This is the biggest lake in Iceland. It holds a few species of fish. Brown trout that can easily go up to and over 20 pounds and arctic char. The browns are mostly caught during the spring when they come up from the depth to feed on smaller species. Now the Char season is in full swing.

The video is in icelandic but you don't really have to understand the words to enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVJB8aBcn4

Great video. The crying scene captures the moment brilliantly. Hard to tell from the video but a very slow retrieve or just allowing the tow to drifting?

A painfully slow retrieve. The fly needs to be fished near the bottom. Sometimes, if you cast a decent length, the retrieve can take up to 10 minutes. I guess patience is truly a virtue when it comes to Þingvellir ;)

The one i lost before the crying scene is probably the biggest Arctic Char i have ever caught. I had no control over it with my 4wt and in the end it snapped my 4x leader quite easily. But the blame lies with me of course. I was to excited and didn't give the fish enough slack.

But that's ok, we'll meet again!

Nice video. Gotta cry when a big one gets away undocumented. Pretty water, pretty fish.

Took my honeymoon 2012 in Iceland. I am vowed to return for char fishing. Imagine my surprise (of course, being ignorant at the time of the opportunity) to find a fly shop. Oh yes, I shall return.