Fly Tying
DFoster

LAW vise on ebay

I thought I'd pass it on. With the kind of money Waldron's used vises are commanding I can't believe he doesn't still produce them. I read that he never patented the design which is why there are several companies making copies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Law-Fly-Tying-Vise/153645629749?hash=item23c5fe4135:g:mh4AAOSw0JBdgElG

Being born without the "collector" gene ... I'll never understand paying 100 x the material value (or more) for anything.

I thought I'd pass it on. With the kind of money Waldron's used vises are commanding I can't believe he doesn't still produce them. I read that he never patented the design which is why there are several companies making copies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Law-Fly-Tying-Vise/153645629749?hash=item23c5fe4135:g:mh4AAOSw0JBdgElG

They are commanding such high prices because they are no longer made. If they were still being made, they would not be that expensive. In fact, if they were still being made, the LAW vises and clones would probably be less expensive than the originals because the prices would need to go down in order for these companies to compete.

It will be fun to watch, I will not be bidding on it.

Being born without the "collector" gene ... I'll never understand paying 100 x the material value (or more) for anything.

I think producing hard tempered jaws could be abit of work. But you seem to be correct in that the benefits of CNC manufacturing are not being passed along to the consumer in this market. It may be even worse with new fly reels. In contrast, it's remarkable what retailers are able to sell a 55" or 65" LED TV for. My wife has been looking recently at the NuCanoe Kayaks--and I was thinking along the lines of your "litmus test" while I was in the showroom. As you probably already know, it's about supply and demand more than the value of the material. A piece of art would fail your litmus test sensationally! : ) As would an old (desired) phonograph record. I've heard that we humans think there is something "in there" that we can't see, though what it is surely depends on the nature of the item. E.g. One of BB King's guitars, someone's football jersey, or similar. It's fun to watch.

When it comes to tools of any kind I always buy the best I can afford and most often you do get what you pay for. But at $2400 I would consider this vise to valuable to use, which is kind of the point in buying the vise in the first place. I'm sure a collector or pro tier will pick it up though. There was a pro using one at the Marlborough show last January and his vise attracted a lot of attention. I guess it's like showing up at a Corvette car show in a Ferrari-

a LAW vise would have been in my price range (about $700 USD) many years ago when they were still being made and i was still working designing submarines. it certainly wouldnt have made me a better tyer. i just would have looked better tying.

i certainly wouldnt buy it for the "$2400 buy it now" asking price just to leave it in a closet and not use it. you can buy a renzetti traveler and a boat load of materials for that price

the same thing with the ridiculousness of chadwicks 477 yarn. everybody goes gaga when a card of this yarn pop up on ebay.

i dont get why but it seems the fish dont really give a sh1t what color yarn you tie killer bugs with

LAW vise and Chadwick 477 ad nauseum :)

I can almost understand buying diamonds, gold or other precious metals/gems. Those things will hold their value, no matter what happens to the rest of the economy.

Buying something like the LAW vice, isn't an investment. It MIGHT be ... if the economy stays high, Waldron dies and ownership of the vises become even more cult-like.

If the economy tanks, jewels and precious metals will still have buyers. LAW vise don't have jewels or precious metals in them, and will be worth less than new, just like any other hobby tool.

I've got nothing against people who pay big money for collectible items, as long as the pets aren't going without food and care to afford it. But, personally, if it's not going to help me in an apocalyptic future, it's not worth collecting.

In the end, it just holds the hook. Same as a hemostat duct taped to a board.

Well, not really, but I can't see that it's any better than a current model true rotary vise. It may be, I have never been around a Law. There is no denying it has collector value.

If I had the money "Hell yes I would buy it!" just like I would buy the C8 Corvette.
And like that vise I would take it out to showoff to my friends. Run it up to Breck just to drive thru
the Johnson Tunnel. I might even strap a pair of rod holders on top. And then tuck it away in the garage under a tarp.
I would bring that vise to demos and just tie woolly buggers on it.
Some of my friends would be jealous and say how stupid I was to spend money on something so frivolous.
But some of my friends would say "How Cool." He's always been just a little crazy.
He would always ask the prettiest girls on a date. He was never one of those wall flowers too scared to ask for a dance.
What a nut to go down Tantalus on a skateboard or jump off the rock in Waimea Bay, in the dark no less.

Who the hell orders omakase?

I ain't dead yet and if I had the money "Hell yes I would buy it!"

Kimo

If I had the money "Hell yes I would buy it!" just like I would buy the C8 Corvette.

And like that vise I would take it out to showoff to my friends. Run it up to Breck just to drive thru

the Johnson Tunnel. I might even strap a pair of rod holders on top. And then tuck it away in the garage under a tarp.

Some of my friends would be jealous and say how stupid I was to spend money on something so frivolous.

But some of my friends would say "How Cool." He's always been just a little crazy.

He would always ask the prettiest girls on a date. He was never one of those wall flowers too scared to ask for a dance.

What a nut to go down Tantalus on a skateboard or jump off the rock in Waimea Bay, in the dark no less.

Kimo

Ya know, I would too, if I had the money for such things. A new boat would come first though.

Kimo

Ya know, I would too, if I had the money for such things. A new boat would come first though.

Thanks Mark!

I've seen your knife work. You obviously see beauty in all things.

Mahalo,

Kimo

Kimo

Thanks Mark!

I've seen your knife work. You obviously see beauty in all things.

Mahalo,

Kimo

Thanks Kimo, I have much admiration for what you do too.