Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

In this heat, what flies are working for you?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

For the most part on lakes my fly choices remain the same, but as this heat has been laying a blanket of "ouch" over us for so long, I'm finding that more subtle or realistic flies are beating out the old stand-bys.

Take nymphs for example. Lately they've had to be either small (12 or less) or very subtly colored to draw strikes. Topwaters are working but not drawing a lot of bass.

Though I haven't tried a dark colored Dahlberg Diver yet...
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#2 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

Foxee Bastards and Lil' Buggers have still been working here at Choctaw
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#3 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

I went fishing with Blueman89 and his dad. I caught 1 smallie on a clouser, Jerry and dad were killing em with fathead minnows bait.gif

Im still searching for the killer hot weather pattern

If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#4 TerryLee

TerryLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

On my last couple of trips I've caught largemouth on small poppers and a rabbit strip diver fished down to two or three feet with a strip-pause-strip retrieve. Got some gills on foam spiders and a bugger-type fly with rubber legs my daughter made up. Not any big fish, but steady fish each outing with those.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

#5 stony

stony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

any #16 or smaller nymph is rockin' around here.
IPB Image

#6 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

I've been having decent action in the California Delta with a black deer hair Dahlberg Diver I tied with a black ostrich herl tail and a yellow deer hair head:

IPB Image

I fished it here day before yesterday:

IPB Image

And, among others, picked up this one:

IPB Image

-- Mike

#7 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Two things:

1. Low light

2. Wooly Bully

devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif
Mark

#8 down2earthlv

down2earthlv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

I guess I need to hit the lake and see what I can do.....lately my hot weather flys have lookid like this.... drunk.gif and a few like this cheers.gif and at work they look like this..... coffee1.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

#9 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

Around here, its been sculpin patterns, with lots of white in them, and about 3 feet down, best fishin has been in the shaded areas, and grasses.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#10 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

I've been having some good luck on pheasant tail pupa in sizes 20 and 22 tied on a TMC200R hook. I have them in about 5 or 6 different colors and combinations of beadheads so it just seems like all I have to do is find the combo the fish want and then the depth of drift I need. If I find one or two, it seems like there is a pod of fish all in the same area with the "feed bag" hysterical.gif on. (If it only was this easy. I think I'm just in the right place at the right time which usually is most of it, isn't it?) An olive woolie or mohair leech is working well, too. There are dragon flies everywhere and I have heard the woolies are being taking as dragon fly nymphs. I haven't thrown anything but midges lately though myself .. but I am having a ball. yahoo.gif

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#11 harleyhunter

harleyhunter

It only rains on my fishing days.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'll let you know sunday night when I get back from fishing for some browns and rainbows. I'm going to try the western branch of the Delaware river early in the morning.

Stay Tuned....

-Sam
Genesis 1:20-23 KJV

#12 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

That's an awesome picture of a Dahlberg Diver, Hairstacker. Too cool.

Haven't really been finding the bass around here, yet. Still getting bluegill mainly with an elk hair caddis.
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#13 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

Hooked up with a monster brown yesterday morning on a 4" nutcracker

#14 dafack01

dafack01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

I've had good luck with Woolly Buggers for Largemouth in a creek behind my aunt's house. Haven't been able to go for Smallies or Trout in a while. I hope to change that soon...
"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

-Muhammad Ali

#15 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

I was having an awesome night tonight catching Gills and Crappie with a Gold & Red StripWing.

IPB Image

Soon as I lost it to a lilly pad, I couldn't buy a bite.