Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Number of flies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: How many flies do you carry?

How many flies do you carry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:41 AM

I almost never fish yet my total number of flies keep on rising and droping from 100 to 300 hover there a while, and then back to 100 as my hooks get low and I destroy my worst flies for hooks. laugh.gif

#17 vices

vices

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

I have been doin that lately, I think its a good idea to recycle your hooks.. if there in good enough condition. With the price of hooks it only helps.. just give em a lil sharpening before you throw them back in water.. cheers.gif
Work to live, live to fish.

#18 mmarkey

mmarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:13 AM

You know that's a good idea. I think I've got flies that have been in that box for years and never been used. But I'm still carrying them around. huh.gif

Mike Markey
BE THE HERON!!

#19 Thibodeau

Thibodeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:16 PM

For trout fishers, if you match the hatch you only need a fiew. Get yourself a spot light and an insect net to collect insects. What hatches the night before will probably be out the next day too. I carry one box with what ever is hatching and some attracter patterns in for good measure. Maybe 25 flies, not necessarily different flies. I could have three different sizes of the same fly.
Kaylee & Scott

#20 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:18 PM

For my personal fishing, I carry on me about 200 flies in 2 boxes, in a chestpack. Probably about 30 different patterns. That's for the waters I know best. For places I'm not dialed in on, I have probably 600 or so. Stillwaters, maybe 75-100. In all cases, that's more than I'll use, but I tend to give away a lot of flies.

When I'm working though, I'll have something like 50,000 flies with me in over 1300 patterns. Then a duffel bag for materials. You wouldn't think that feathers & foam would weigh so much, but the flies alone weigh nearly 40 lbs!

#21 steelheadohio

steelheadohio

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:16 PM

i pretty much only steelhead fish and i carry around about 200-300 flies because thats how many fit in this side pouch i got and it looks really neat. i tend to give out a lot of flies to people on what they are hitting so i often carry around a bunch of my favorites, but mostly egg patterns, a plethora of sucker spawns, wooly buggers, and a large nymph section.
...P.S. J.Johnson, is that waterrfall at hogback ridge on the grand in ohio?

#22 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:22 PM

would be interesting to post the same poll to a group of flyfishers that don't tie their own flies and then compare it to our answers.

Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

[email protected]

#23 bwodun

bwodun

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:23 PM

i have to go with wickedcarpenter on this one between nymphs, drys, streamers, midges, etc i am up in the 1000 range. boy that vest gets heavy on those long hikes. bugeyes.gif

#24 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

More than 200...only 1 of which (at most) ever seems to work. biggrin.gif
Russ Forney

#25 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:34 AM

I carry about fifty to sixty flies, usually four of each pattern, so about 12 to 15 patterns. It depends on what trip I'm going on and which rod I'm bringing, you know, no point in carrying heavy streamers with a five weight.

I only keep two big fly boxes so I don't get overwhelmed. If you break it down, one's to imitate bugs and the other imitates fish.

No point in frustrating yourself with a million boxes!
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#26 wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:20 PM

I voted 51-75, but that is a rough guess. After this winter is over it will probably be like 100-200 just so I am happy. biggrin.gif Of course, I don't think having that many helps, but I DO lose many, many flies to the foliage where I fish.

My normal routine is to carry a few known producers in two or three sizes, two to four of each size. After these I will just toss in a few extra patterns in case I need to mix up my repetoire to keep the fish biting. I fish 90% of my time with dries on small streams that see little fishing pressure. A selection of Royal Coachmen, Adams', Cahill's and Irresistables will keep me occupied for quite some time. I normally have some Buggers and Hoppers along, but I reserve those for difficult and/or special circumstances. Oh, and Caddis'.

(Note: I learned quickly that just because it is a dry fly pattern doesn't mean it won't work when fished wet. This tactic helps me keep the selection and fuss to a minimum of head-scratching. Coachmen and Trudes work well for brookies this way.)

#27 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:30 PM

I can see the river I fish all year from here.If I go some where Ill tke all my flies.Who Knows how many that is.Generaly If I do fish the river I will not need to many flies.I hurt my neck and shoulder years ago so I keep my vest light.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#28 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:54 PM

I guess I must be over the top, then. My nymph box (C&F Waterproof) currently has more than 350 flies in it! Then there is the dry fly box. And the midge box. And several streamer boxes depending on species. Then there is the boat bag where I have LOTS of stuff.

If I go smallie fishing and take one streamer box and one nymph box, I'll be carrying more than 400 flies in my vest. I typically carry a dozen of a pattern that I use frequently and I might have a couple sizes (Foxee Clouser is a good example, I carry 10's, 8's, 6's and some 4's) so I am likely carrying 10 or 15 patterns, in two or three sizes, in multiple copies. They don't weigh much and I've found that its not unusual for me to burn through 8 or 10 flies in a day if I'm fishing aggressively (got to get the fly where the fish are and that means I tend to lose a few). If I'm fishing something really snag infected I might burn through 2 dozen flies on a single outing.

Just like golf balls. Carry plenty so you don't have to spend all day trying to get one back! biggrin.gif

Tight lines

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#29 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

I don't carry no stinkin' flies. If a fly ain't pullin its' own weight, out it goes!

Daryn, your avatar scares me but I always loved feeding Blood Worms to my fish so guess it's a fair trade!

(
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#30 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:46 PM

I CARRY ABOUT 150 or so mostly nimps and streamers and egg parrtens

fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show