Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Number of flies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: How many flies do you carry?

How many flies do you carry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 dbl_shot

dbl_shot

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:11 PM

Interesting posts. I voted between 100 - 150 .. Most of that would be for Trout in the local waters I know and fish. Trips out of state I would be in the over 300 range.

Steelhead I usually carry less than 100.

Cheers, Hansen

#32 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:42 AM

I used to be a scout and I am always prepared for anything.

For Trout I use a cabelas chest pack and carry 6 boxes
C&F box for nymphs (holds 564 flies)
C&F box for terresterials and streamers (holds 564 flies)
C&F box for Dry Flies (holds 282 flies)
Okumo six compartment box for midges (I have about 120 midge patterns) I placed magnetic sheet inside of lid for midge emergers
Cheapo ripple foam box for buggers (about 60 conehead and beadhead buggers)
Plano small 16 compartment box for Clouser crayfish, bullet head hoppers, strike indicators, and assorted weight shot. (about 40 flies)

I probably carry between 800-1000 flies while trout fishing, and usually give away a dozen or two every trip (I love tying)

For Smallmouth, I carry two boxes.
Large Plano box sub surface patterns streamers, hellgramites, crayfish, and of course Conehead muddlers, buggers, streamers.
Plano box for topwater poppers, floating and crippled minnows, hoppers and hair bugs.

Sometimes I thought of opening my own fly shop on the water.

What can I say, just like everyone else, I'm addicted.

Conehead
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#33 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:48 AM

Okay, this post really had my curious. My boat bag is loaded, but I needed to know how many flies are really in a box - and how many boxes I really carry on a give trip. Here is the count -

Trout Selection

Dry Fly Box - about 22 dozen flies. Approx. 18 diff (dry and emerger) patterns in assorted sizes. C&F Design Waterproof box.

Nymph Box - about 26 dozen flies. Approx. 20 diff patterns in assorted sizes. Box as above.

Small Streamer Box(es) - about 6 dozen flies - approx 20 different patterns in assorted sizes. Nubby Tac Orvis boxes.

Smallmouth Selection

Dry Fly Box - 8 dozen flies. 8 different patterns. Clear plastic logo'd box. I only carry this in May and June.

Nymph Box - 14 dozen flies. 18 or so patterns in assorted sizes. C&F Design waterproof box.

Clouser/Muddler Kit - 4 dozen flies. Two patterns in assorted sizes and a couple color variations. Fish Pond zippered fly wallet

Deciever/Blonde Kit - as above

Top Water Hair Bug Selection - as above. I carry this when I'm not carrying the dry fly box.

There you have it. Fishing local waters or places I know I carry three or four boxes and about 500 individual flies. Overkill??? You decide.... devil.gif

Joe C.

"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#34 MuskyOnTheFly

MuskyOnTheFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

I usually carry about 20 when I'm going for musky/pike. I carry lots of Bunny Streamers in different colors, some weighted, some unweighted, a few divers, poppers, a couple sliders, and some deceivers.
-MuskyOnTheFly
There's three things that we're never late for here in Montana: Church, work, and fishing.
--from A River Runs Through it